[rfc-i] new draft summarizing updated Transitional RFC Editor recommendations now available

sm at resistor.net (SM) Tue, 30 November 2010 20:26 UTC

From: "sm at resistor.net"
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:26:53 -0800
Subject: [rfc-i] new draft summarizing updated Transitional RFC Editor recommendations now available

Hello,
At 00:47 23-11-10, Glenn Kowack wrote:
>A new draft summarizing updated Transitional RFC Recommendations,
>"draft-kowack-rfc-editor-model-v2-overview-00" is now available.
>http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kowack-rfc-editor-model-v2-overview/?include_text=1

It's odd to reference the datatracker for this draft.  Is the
document source "Network Working Group" (see RFC 5741)?

Quoting the Abstract Section:

   "The RFC Editor is a set of functions that accepts draft documents
    from the community, makes edits and other changes for clarity and
    formal correctness, and publishes and archives openly-accessible
    RFCs.  Editorial services are provided by a Production Center,
    publication and access services by a 'Publisher'.  The RFC Series
    Editor is responsible for ensure ongoing operations as well as
    development of the Editor function and the Series."

If that sums up the RFC Editor Model, do we really have to get into a
long discussion about it?  I don't think so.  If the draft is to
serve as a basis for coming up with a RFC Editor Model, it could
reuse some of the text from RFC 5620.

In Section 2.2:

   "For example, RFC Editor functions could be implemented under
    separate or joint contractual arrangements, and bidders may make
    proposals that could include one or more contractors.  Determining
    the acceptability of various implementations is the responsibility
    of the RFC Series Editor and the IAOC, in consultation with the
    Policy Council."

What is this Policy Council?

In Section 2.3:

   "RFC Editor internal reporting structure is subject to change over
    time depending, for example, on plans and the manner in which
    contracts are awarded."

This is internal affairs.  I suggest leaving this up to the IOAC.

 From Section 3.3:

   "RFC Publisher and RFC Production Center contractors are recommended
    by the Series Editor and IAOC after an open RFP process, and approved
    by the IAB."

What does the IAB have to do with contractual agreements?

 From Section 4.1:

   "The RFC Series Editor appointee is an individual.  The Series Editor
    is designated by the IAB, and may be removed by the IAB, subject to
    contractual requirements."

This is not an appointment; it is more of a contract.

 From Section 4.2:

   "The Series Editor is responsible for ensuring that the Editor
    policies are adhered to and developed in line with community
    interests."

What community is that?

The title of Section 4.2.5 is "Represent the Series to the Rest of
the World".  Is that really needed?

 From Section 4.3.2.2:

   "authoritative community entities (e.g., the IETF Trust regarding
    IP notices"

The IETF Trust is not authoritative for Internet Protocol notices. :-)

If the IAB wants to divest its responsibility and leave it to the
REOC to run the RFC Series, it is free to do so.  Having so many
committee is a bad idea though.

In Section 6.1:

   "Disagreements between RFC Editor Components and Model
    Participants"

This is about contractual relationships.  It does not matter what a
RFC says as it cannot override a contract.

To summarize, I am far from convinced after reading
draft-kowack-rfc-editor-model-v2-overview.

Regards,
-sm