Re: [Roll] WGLC - Working Group Last Call - draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-05

peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl> Tue, 17 September 2013 10:21 UTC

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 12:21:20 +0200
From: peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl>
To: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
Cc: roll@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Roll] WGLC - Working Group Last Call - draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-05

Hi Michael,
corresponding questions can be:

1) What are the maximum and minimum 1-hop MPL router neighbours of all
the MPL routers?
2) what is the arrival rate of new packets that need repetition in a MPL
router
3) Is there a deadline associated with the packets
4) What is the shortest number of hops of the longest path between
sources and destinations
5) What are the values of the MAC: back-off values, retries, buffer
size.
6) What is the background load of other non MPL applications.
7) arrival probability of 1-hop packets
8) other parameters I did not stumble on.

The corresponding design space is incredibly large, and probably only a
limited subset of the design space is viable.
I have gone through only a limited number of possibilities, and
analysing the consequences for MPL took me quite a large amount of time.

In one of my scenarios:
1) 5 neighbours
2) once every 100 ms (rate at sources is once every 300-500 ms)
3) yes, 200 ms
4) 5 hops, with mostly 1 hop
5) no buffer, retry 1, back-off 2
6) absent
7) 100-80%

leading to k=3-5, Imin =30-70 ms, repeat = 2, Imax n/a.

It may help that operational boundary conditions together with
appropriate MPL parameter values are published in the applicability
statements.
All applicability statements together may give a good hint which MPL
parameters and boundary conditions to choose.

My 5 cents,

peter