Re: [Roll] WGLC - Working Group Last Call - draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-05

peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl> Thu, 19 September 2013 14:34 UTC

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 16:34:25 +0200
From: peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl>
To: Kerry Lynn <kerlyn@ieee.org>
Cc: Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks <roll@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Roll] WGLC - Working Group Last Call - draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-05

Hi Kerry,

some inline comments on your comments.
The questions was: what might go wrong when MPL values are badly chosen.
I tried to describe some most likely causes and effects. No attempt at
completeness was intended.

Kerry Lynn schreef op 2013-09-19 15:07:
> Hi Peter,
>
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 9:37 AM, peter van der Stok
> <stokcons@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> Some consequences:
> 1) Too many repeaters with too small Imin and too large repeat leads to
> network congestion (similar to having too high send frequency on
> several sources)
>
> The Trickle Algorithm [RFC 6206] calls for exponential growth of Imax
> for some number of intervals in order to spread the offered load over
> time.  Thus the
> claim that it can "scale to thousand-fold variations in network
> density".
>
> It is actually the combination of large load, large k, and small
> *Imax* that may contribute to
> congestion collapse.  When Imax is limited to Imin then your statement
> is true.

I think a small Imin is sufficient in combination with many sources,
repeaters and large repeat
Stating Imax =Imin certainly helps. I was referring to an Imin=1 ms.

[RFC 6206] suggests Imin should be at least 2-3 times the period it
takes to
> transmit k packets (and
> probably double that).  Knowing k, bit rate, and message size (which
> seemed to be missing
> from your list of variables) it should be possible to determine a
> reasonable value for Imin.
> For example, an average mDNS lookup may fit in 127 octets but the
> worst-case may be
> twice that.
>
> 2) packets take too long to arrive at all destinations (assuming there
> is a deadline)
>
> This is probably not a "typical" case.  It may involve trained
> installers to achieve this goal

For me it is typical. My deadlines are 200 ms.
I also think that conditions on the installation (density of repeaters,
bounded network load, source and destination separated by bounded number
of hops) will go a long way to make deadlines meet.

> for large LLNs.
>

> 3) packets do not arrive at some destinations
>
> This is mitigated by larger k.

So choice of k is important

> This is comparable with what happens when too many nodes start sending
> unicasts on the mesh.
>
> For me the MPL draft is also OK.
>
> My original comment regarding default Imin values was that they were
> defined in terms
>
> of "worst-case latency" for a given data link and I still think this
> is vague (perhaps
> purposely so).  I think the present draft would be improved by adding
> a definition to
> section 2:
>
> Worst Case Latency - The period of time for the largest possible MPL
> Data Message to
>
>                     be received by any MPL Forwarder in the MPL Domain.

As stated earlier. I don't like the worst case latency. With a heavily
loaded network, MAC buffers > 3, Backoff retries >2, worst case
latencies can reach hundreds of msec and even seconds.
The transmission time of the packet 3-6 ms can be neglected under those
circumstances. Concluding, WCL should certainly not be used to set Imin.
However the I-D talks default values and the wording is OK for me.

> Regards, -K-

Greetings
Peter