Re: [Roll] WG call to adopt draft-brandt-roll-rpl-applicability-home-building-03

Anders Brandt <Anders_Brandt@sigmadesigns.com> Thu, 21 February 2013 07:49 UTC

From: Anders Brandt <Anders_Brandt@sigmadesigns.com>
To: Abdussalam Baryun <abdussalambaryun@gmail.com>, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 07:49:35 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.168.10.56]
Cc: "roll@ietf.org" <roll@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Roll] WG call to adopt draft-brandt-roll-rpl-applicability-home-building-03

Abdussalam Baryun wrote:
> I still waiting the reply from authors for the discussion related, my last message was as below;
>
>http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/roll/current/msg07740.html

Responding inline:

> So I understand from your reply that you think RPL MAY NOT be
> applicabale for home and building application,

To the authors of the draft, P2P-RPL seems to be the best choice for home applications.
RPL may be  applicable as well.

> why it is best choice? this was not mentioned clearly in draft,

The purpose of an applicability document is to describe the applicability of an invention, i.e.
how one should configure host and routing protocol parameters to make the invention work
in a given setting; in this case, P2P-RPL in home and building environments.
A similar document may be created for RPL in home and building environments.

One day, when there also exists an RPL home & building applicability document, one _could_
draft an evaluation document; comparing the applicability of the two protocols.

> or describe P2P in this draft and leave others as P2MP and RPL in
> other draft if you like

Exactly.

- Anders