Re: [Roll] WGLC - Working Group Last Call - draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-05

peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl> Wed, 18 September 2013 09:24 UTC

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 11:23:56 +0200
From: peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl>
To: Yusuke DOI <yusuke.doi@toshiba.co.jp>
Cc: roll@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Roll] WGLC - Working Group Last Call - draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-05

Hi Yusuke,

thanks for your interest.
I got the parameter values by doing an on-paper analysis of the
propagation patterns and the synchrony between the copies sent by
multiple repeaters
In combination with many simulations, I finally understood what went on
and came up with a motivated set of parameter values.
The use cases themselves were motivated by run of the mill lighting
office installations.

For other use cases this process will be faster though.

For your case it would take some simulation try-outs (few days) to get
it right.
The 30 neighbours makes me think that you need a k value of 10 or
higher, dependent how the propagation proceeds to the borders of the
network.
25 packets /hour remove too many worries about interference.
Probably a max repeat of 2 will be sufficient. I usually make the source
a repeater as well to make sure that one packet arrives at least at one
destination.
Probably a short Imin value like 30-70 ms will do for you as well; and
then you will certainly meet the deadlines.
When you have bursts of packets at a repeater, say 10 within 50 ms,
interference becomes important, and the behaviour of the MAC comes into
play, retarding the packets and threatening the meeting of the deadline.

But again, It would take a more thorough analysis to come up with
numbers which can be taken seriously.

Greetings,

Peter