Re: [rtcweb] Some misunderstandings about <Usecase & architecture: Browser application with separate webserver & voipserver>

"Ravindran Parthasarathi" <pravindran@sonusnet.com> Thu, 25 August 2011 18:06 UTC

Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 23:37:36 +0530
From: Ravindran Parthasarathi <pravindran@sonusnet.com>
To: Nguyen Duong Tuan <hoang.su.tk@gmail.com>, rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Some misunderstandings about <Usecase & architecture: Browser application with separate webserver & voipserver>

Hi TuanND,

<snip>
b) Browser application interacts with VoIP server (use HTTP)
        browser<------>RTCweb server & SIP client (new GW)<------>SIP
server

New Gateway is outside the scope of RTCWeb and IETF which provides the
opportunity for innovative way of building gateways but may leads to
interop issue due to mapping between RTCWebserver & SIP client w.r.t
mid-call services.
</snip>

The issue in case webserver acts as new RTCWEB & SIP GW for VoIP
communication, there is a need of protocol mapping between the protocol
used between browser & RTCWebserver (say RTCweb protocol) to SIP. In my
experience with signaling protocol interworking, the interop between two
vendors fails lot of times in mid-call services like Hold, resume,
transfer and IETF BLISS WG is good example for such failures. My
question was why RTCWeb was looking into that approach.

>From http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rtcweb/current/msg00730.html
mail thread, I understand that more discussion will occur in RTCWeb to
clarify this doubt. Please let me know in case you need more
explanation.

Thanks
Partha

PS: I have changed my company recently