Re: [saag] Input for conflict review of draft-secure-cookie-session-protocol

Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> Mon, 22 October 2012 22:31 UTC

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 09:31:30 +1100
To: saag@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [saag] Input for conflict review of draft-secure-cookie-session-protocol

As far as I can tell, this document specifies some extensions to the Cookie / Set-Cookie (RFC6265), and/or "squats" on some pre-defined cookie names. It's hard to tell, both because of how the draft is written, and because I read it very quickly.

6265 doesn't define how it's to be extended very well (possibly because the underlying assumption is that extensions are VERY difficult to deploy). However, the precedent of an independent stream RFC defining such extensions, or worse "squatting" on the cookie name space (which is very widely used and thus very difficult to guarantee an absence of conflict) is concerning.

It seems to me that this *might* therefore conflict with the (previous) HTTPSTATE WG's work.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/