Re: [saag] Common labeled security (comment on CALIPSO, labeled NFSv4)

"Santosh Chokhani" <SChokhani@cygnacom.com> Sat, 04 April 2009 22:09 UTC

Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 18:10:42 -0400
From: Santosh Chokhani <SChokhani@cygnacom.com>
To: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>, saag@ietf.org
Cc: labeled-nfs@linux-nfs.org, nfsv4@ietf.org, nfs-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: Re: [saag] Common labeled security (comment on CALIPSO, labeled NFSv4)

Russ,

I was thinking along the same lines.  More specifically,

1.  They can use he feature that helps covert machine representation to
human readable representation and vice versa.

2.  I suspect the distribution nightmare you mentioned and Kurt seconded
relates to label names being sensitive or aggregation of labels' names
being sensitive.  I hope this is not a problem in the environments they
mention in the sense that SPIF can be classified such that all users can
access it.

3.  They probably do not need the excluded and required features (i.e.,
they do not need to worry about some labels in the lattice being
semantically permitted).  This will simplify SPIF a lot.

4.  I am torn on the issue of mapping you mentioned.  At a minimum SPIF
can let them label the data for different labeling policies and do away
with the mapping as you suggest.  This may mean that subject may need
authorizations spelled out in multiple policy domains.  This approach
will get rid of one of your key concerns about complexity of SPIF.
Item 2 above hopefully addresses the other.