RE: [SAFE] FW: [OPS-AREA] FW: [tsv-area] BOF request underconsideration: SAFE

Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> Mon, 15 October 2007 16:20 UTC

Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 08:45:11 +0300
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
To: Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: [SAFE] FW: [OPS-AREA] FW: [tsv-area] BOF request underconsideration: SAFE
Cc: safe@ietf.org, ops-area@ietf.org

Hi Dan,

Please forward this to the SAFE list as appropriate.

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Dan Wing wrote:
> The SAFE BoF isn't about comparing Teredo to STUN/ICE.
>
> Rather, it is about querying and controlling binding lifetimes of
> NATs in order to reduce the frequency of keepalive messages across
> those NATs.  This would benefit any UDP-based protocol that
> traverses NATs and, today, needs to send keepalives every 20-30
> seconds; such a protocol could reduce its keepalive traffic
> substantially.  Teredo and IPsec-over-UDP would benefit from
> such a reduction in keepalive traffic.

The list of drawbacks of existing solutions (that I clipped off in the
mail *) seemed to be written in a way that implied that the BOF
proposal wanted to express the superiority of STUN/ICE compared to the
other solutions.  I think you'll need to include a complete list,
reword to make the intent of the text clearer or remove the drawback
list completely.

FWIW, as it happens, Teredo already supports automatic adjustment to
NAT timeouts.

*)
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tsv-area/current/msg00116.html