[SAFE] RE: [BEHAVE] BOF request under consideration: SAFE

<Markus.Isomaki@nokia.com> Thu, 11 October 2007 12:54 UTC

Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 15:53:56 +0300
From: Markus.Isomaki@nokia.com
To: magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com, safe@ietf.org
Subject: [SAFE] RE: [BEHAVE] BOF request under consideration: SAFE

Hi,

I support the goals of this BOF and I believe in the reasoning provided
by the charter. I have two concerns that should be addressed before I
think STUN NAT control could become successfully deployed:

1. Technical issue: STUN control allows a host/application to discover
NATs and disover/set NAT binding timers for UDP (typically to higher
values than what the defaults, perhaps around 30-300 s, would be).
However, BEFORE the application can start using the increased keepalive
period, it needs to have a some sort of assurance that there aren't
OTHER middleboxes on its path with lower keepalive values. Otherwise it
would be impossible to rely on the increased timer values, and thus the
whole mechanism might fail in practice. So, I would like to include in
the charter a goal where such discovery mechanisms and their
applicability are considered. The actual mechanism might be based on
STUN or something else. I know this is a hard problem in general, but in
many access network topologies the problem can be solved by
configuration + discovery. I'd be happy to contribute in this area.
Actually I believe this discovery part to be the real issue with this
whole work, rather than the details of STUN itself.

2. Deployment issue: We do have several protocols in this area, for
instance NSIS. Their deployment does not look to be happening. For STUN
control to be useful, we would need real interest from some real NAT/FW
vendors. It's of course difficult to say how to verify this in a BOF
beyond matching people's e-mail addresses to NAT/FW product brands :-)
Personally I can speak for a single client/host/device vendor only.

Markus