Re: [secdir] review of draft-hollenbeck-rfc4933bis-02

Catherine Meadows <catherine.meadows@nrl.navy.mil> Wed, 08 July 2009 16:01 UTC

From: Catherine Meadows <catherine.meadows@nrl.navy.mil>
To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 12:02:10 -0400
Cc: iesg@ietf.org, secdir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [secdir] review of draft-hollenbeck-rfc4933bis-02

My apologies!  I should have read RFC 4953 first.  The I-D tracker is
still giving me a 404,
but I was able to find it on the tcpm WG website.

What RFC 4953 discusses is a specific vulnerability in TCP, which
involves the fact that reset sequence (RST) numbers can cycle through
quickly in large windows,
and they make the protocol vulnerable to spurious resets from
attackers in that case.  So this really is a TCP issue, and I agree
that the TCP mapping document in the appropriate place for
this if there is an issue, which would depend on the window size.

My apologies again for typing without reading first, and for
introducing such a red herring.  My interpretation of "channel binding
attack" in this context was no where near the mark.
I now no longer believe that there are any further changes to be made
to this document.

Also, somebody needs to fix the ID tracker.  My attempt to find 4934
wound up in a 404 too.

Cathy