Re: [secdir] review of draft-hollenbeck-rfc4933bis-02

"Polk, William T." <william.polk@nist.gov> Wed, 15 July 2009 18:36 UTC

From: "Polk, William T." <william.polk@nist.gov>
To: Sandra Murphy <sandy@sparta.com>, "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:59:05 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>, Nicolas Williams <Nicolas.Williams@sun.com>, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [secdir] review of draft-hollenbeck-rfc4933bis-02

I'm a little late to the party, but I have been quietly mulling over this problem as well.  Now that Sandy has explicitly asked for an AD to step in, I figured I should participate more actively.  I have also added Nico Williams to the CC list (my apologies, Nico) since channel bindings is really his area of expertise.

I think there is a real need for channel bindings with some applications of EPP, but may not always be strictly necessary in other cases.  For example, the e-Automation project for the administration of DNS root zone uses EPP but if I recall correctly most of the objects that are transferred are digitally signed objects.  In this case, channel bindings are perhaps less important since we aren't relying solely on the EPP authentication mechanism.  So, in my opinion we should encourage their use but should not require channel bindings.

However, if the application is relying on EPP in combination with transport for security, channel bindings would provide significantly enhanced security.  That says channel bindings deserves to be mentioned and a little guidance on (1) implementing channel bindings and (2) determining when channel bindings is required.  That begs a new question of course - where does this information go?

I am starting to believe that the security considerations section of 4930bis should note that enhanced security SHOULD be achieved through channel bindings unless the application involves digitally signed objects, and that the TLS usage section of 4934bis (section 9) should include a pointer to techniques for implementing channel bindings with TLS.  I am still mulling this over, and will probably not enter any discuss until tomorrow, but this seems the best approach.  (Hopefully Nico will weigh in before then and keep me straight on this one...)

Tim Polk