Re: [shim6] Unknown locator [WG Last Call for draft-ietf-shim6-multihome-shim-api]

Shinta Sugimoto <shinta.sugimoto@ericsson.com> Fri, 18 December 2009 05:57 UTC

From: Shinta Sugimoto <shinta.sugimoto@ericsson.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 13:56:49 +0800
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "shim6@ietf.org" <shim6@ietf.org>, Kristian Slavov <kristian.slavov@ericsson.com>, "miika@iki.fi" <miika@iki.fi>
Subject: Re: [shim6] Unknown locator [WG Last Call for draft-ietf-shim6-multihome-shim-api]

Hi,

I am sorry for the delay in resonse. Let me address my view on the unknown locator issue.

After re-thinking, I think we need to handle two cases: 1) application sending data with unknown source/destination locator, 2) application requesting for using unknown source/destination locator.

As to the former case, the multihoming shim sub-layer must reject the request and send an error message to the application.  The reason is simply because the packet with unknown source locator will be dropped by the peer and sending packet to unknown destination locator should be prohibited for security reasons.

As to the latter case, the multihoming shim sub-layer should do the following:

- check if the requested source locator is available on any of the local interface
- if the source locator is available, then the multihoming shim sub-layer MAY initiate procedure to update its own locator list with the peer

In response to the request for using unknown destination locator, the situation is a bit tricky because it means that the application somehow knows another locator (IP address) to reach the peer while the multihoming shim sub-layer does not.  I am not sure if we have such a case in reality, but in theory, I think the multihoming shim sub-layer must reject the request at least in the case of SHIM6.  In the case of HIP, I am clarifying this with HIP experts what to do.

Any comments?

p.s., Please note that I will be off-line for 1.5 days from now due to business travel.  Will be able to response on 19 December.

Regards,
Shinta