Re: [sidr] WGLC for draft-ietf-sidr-algorithm-agility-03

Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org> Tue, 08 November 2011 02:16 UTC

From: Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org>
To: Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 18:16:01 -0800
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "draft-ietf-sidr-algorithm-agility@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-sidr-algorithm-agility@tools.ietf.org>, "sidr@ietf.org" <sidr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sidr] WGLC for draft-ietf-sidr-algorithm-agility-03

On 4/11/11 6:56 PM, "Stephen Kent" <kent@bbn.com> wrote:

> I think the BCP idea is appropriate.  I don't agree with your gray
> area argument. Let's avoid terms like "desperate."
>
>> But neither this document (in blessing the idea) nor
>> draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-algs (as standards track) is the place for it.
>
> let's just say we disagree, modulo the idea of putting the milestones in
> a BCP.

O.k Sure.

Remove the date specification going into the sidr-rpki-algs document and
construct whatever words are needed to say that the WG will adopt a BCP work
item helped along by the NRO, IANA (and it's operator), IAB etc.

Modulo the WG approval and WG Chair's happiness with this direction. :-)

> In principle the RIRs & IANA, perhaps the NRO & IANA, would be an
> appropriate group to issue such a statement. So far, this process has
> been rocky, which is probably why there is an IAB-issused statement
> re IANA as a global TA for the RPKI. Nonetheless, this might be a
> reasonable split of responsibility, i.e., alg spec through the IETF
> process, and milestone publication via an RFC authored by the NRO and
> IANA.

I think that is a step forward.

I'll look for the revised draft and will read as soon as I can.

Terry