RE: [Sip] RE: Delivering request-URI and parameters to UAS via proxy

"Christer Holmberg" <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com> Fri, 11 January 2008 20:02 UTC

Subject: RE: [Sip] RE: Delivering request-URI and parameters to UAS via proxy
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 21:02:14 +0100
From: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
Cc: sip@ietf.org, "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com>

Hi,

>>>I have some questions and comments:
>>>
>>>- I don't understand your examples in section 3. They are a bit
>>>sketchy about the assumptions they are making, and in notation. I get

>>>lost about which referenced component has which address, etc. I am
>>>far from convinced that these are problems with appropriate use of
>>>the mechanism.
>>
>>As indicated in chapter 3, one of the main issues/limitations with the

>>J'draft solution is that the entity wanting to use it must have
>>knowledge whether the next hop also supports it. My understanding from

>>off-line discussions I had with Jonathan in Vancouver is also that
>>Jonathan agrees to that issue/limitation.
>>
>>The purpose of the examples is just to show what can go wrong if the
>>next hop does not understand the mechanism. But, if we all agree to
>>the limitation with the J'draft solution I don't know whether we need
>>to spend too much time on the examples.
>
>The limitation is the limitation. It means that you don't use
>the mechanism if you don't know the next hop supports it. So
>its useless to speculate what would go wrong if you use the
>mechanism with a next hop that doesn't support it.

We thought it would be good to show some examples, in case people don't
understand WHY the limitation is there.

>>>- It seems from your analysis of use cases that it is P-Called-Party
>>>that solves many of them, not Target. So both headers seem to be part

>>>of the solution.
>>
>>No, as far as the alternative to the J'draft solution is concerned,
>>the alternative is Target. We believe it can be used for all listed
>>use-cases.
>
>I don't understand. Several of them called for using P-CPI.

No, we say that there are certain use-case we belive the P-CPI was
defined to be used for, but we also say that the Target header can be
used for those use-cases.

Again, the Target header is our proposal for an alternative to the
J'draft solution.

Regards,

Christer