Re: [Sipping] comments on draft-roach-sipping-callcomp-bfcp-00

"Jeroen van Bemmel" <jbemmel@zonnet.nl> Wed, 08 November 2006 15:26 UTC

From: Jeroen van Bemmel <jbemmel@zonnet.nl>
To: Thomas.Froment@alcatel.fr
Subject: Re: [Sipping] comments on draft-roach-sipping-callcomp-bfcp-00
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 16:26:10 +0100
Cc: IETF Sipping List <sipping@ietf.org>, Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>, "Michael Hammer (mhammer)" <mhammer@cisco.com>

>> That being said, I believe what is triggering the "academic"
>> objections is the underlying model of
>> draft-poetzl-sipping-call-completion-01: multiple subscriptions to a
>> single resource (the CCBS/CCNR queue) but a single notification to
>> the "first, non-suspended subscriber". That goes against RFC3265 (in
>> more than one ways)
> Can you clatify this statement? for me, this  is not completely clear
> why...

RFC3265 defines a model in which subscribers subscribe to a resource, and
get notified of event changes. The way I interpret the current text in
draft-poetzl, the resource is the queue of the target user, i.e. a single
unique resource per callee.

If two subscribers (say A and B) subscribe to some callee's queue Q, and
some event occurs for Q, then both should receive a NOTIFY. In RFC3265 there
is no notion of selecting a specific subscriber from the set of all
subscribers to receive the NOTIFY. A similar argument holds for the notion
of "suspending" a subscription, in the RFC3265 model you are either
subscribed to an event or not.

Of course, since RFC3265 there have been extensions that can affect this
basic pattern. For example, when event filters (RFC4660) are being used, it
might be that A receives a NOTIFY while B does not, due to filtering.
However, if this is intended the draft should explicitly talk about that,
and preferrably reuse what is already standardized, instead of defining an
entirely different mechanism using a mix of event package parameters, new
SIP headers, and new usages of existing SIP headers.

The current draft has two (yes, 2 in total) normative references: RFC3261
and RFC3265. My suggestion would be to investigate whether other existing
extensions, such as RFC4660, can be leveraged to realize this service.
Reusing existing, standardized & accepted mechanisms would likely make the
draft more acceptable to a wider audience

Regards,
Jeroen