Re: [Sipping] comments on draft-roach-sipping-callcomp-bfcp-00

"Jeroen van Bemmel" <jbemmel@zonnet.nl> Wed, 08 November 2006 09:17 UTC

From: Jeroen van Bemmel <jbemmel@zonnet.nl>
To: GARCIN Sebastien RD-CORE-ISS <sebastien.garcin@orange-ftgroup.com>, "Michael Hammer (mhammer)" <mhammer@cisco.com>, Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>, "Jonathan Rosenberg (jdrosen)" <jdrosen@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Sipping] comments on draft-roach-sipping-callcomp-bfcp-00
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 10:05:57 +0100
Cc: IETF Sipping List <sipping@ietf.org>

Sebastien,

It appears to me that the discussion is really not about "work versus
not-work", but more about "elegant versus not-elegant" or "in the spirit of
SIP(tm)"

My preference is also for a pure SIP-based solution, because adding BFCP
adds an additional deployment burden on already feature-heavy SIP devices.
You will end up with all the nightmares of firewall traversal, privacy
features, etc, etc, all of which are (at least in the process of) being
resolved within SIP.

That being said, I believe what is triggering the "academic" objections is
the underlying model of draft-poetzl-sipping-call-completion-01: multiple
subscriptions to a single resource (the CCBS/CCNR queue) but a single
notification to the "first, non-suspended subscriber". That goes against
RFC3265 (in more than one ways)

If instead it was modeled / described as a subscription to a queue
*position* (where the subscriber does not know / need to know which position
that is, relative to other subscribers), it makes more sense. IMO it would
help if the underlying conceptual model were explicitly described in the
draft.

Then, instead of "queue management", I would suggest to model suspend/resume
as event filtering: the subscriber enables/disables his interest in the
"available for a call" event.

Identification and prioritization of CCBS/CCNR calls over "regular" calls
could be handled as follows: in the NOTIFY for "available for a call", add a
URI to which the subscriber must send his INVITE. In this URI, put something
(no need for standardization here, can e.g. be in the username ) that the
callee can recognise as resulting from a CCBS/CCNR callback (this URI needs
to be a GRUU). Alternatively, you could specify that the callback needs to
take place in the context of the same dialog as the SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY for the
CCBS/CCNR event, but some people dislike such multi-usages.

Regards,

Jeroen