Re: [Slim] I-D Action: draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language-07.txt

Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org> Mon, 27 February 2017 01:08 UTC

Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 17:01:10 -0800
To: Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>, slim@ietf.org, Bernard Aboba <bernard.aboba@gmail.com>
From: Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org>
Subject: Re: [Slim] I-D Action: draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language-07.txt

At 8:38 AM +0100 2/26/17, Gunnar Hellström wrote:

>  Randall,
>
>  One more clarification for issue 12 - the
> asterisk placement as a preference hint:
>
>  You say:
>
>  " it seems better for the answerer to include
> all media and languages from the offer that it
> can support. "
>
>  You are right. I misread this paragraph in section 5.2:
>  " In an answer, 'humintlang-send' is the language the answerer will
>  send (which in most cases is one of the languages in the offer's
>  'humintlang-recv'), and 'humintlang-recv' is the language the
>  answerer expects to receive (which in most cases is one of the
>  languages in the offer's 'humintlang-send')."
>
>  That gave me the impression that I need to
> answer with only one language per direction in
> the whole SDP.

It's per media.

>  But in the first paragraph of 5.2, it is said: "to negotiate
>  which human language is used in each interactive media stream. "
>
>  So, we are allowed to include more than one
> language per direction in the SDP, but the
> users are not expected to use more than one
> language per direction, at least initially in
> the call.

There's nothing in the protocol that says
anything about people using more than one media
in each direction.

>  (that makes the wording "will send" and
> "expects to receive" in the cited paragraph a
> bit misleading, because as you point out, some
> of them might never be used. "is prepared to
> send" and "can accept to receive" might better
> correspond to what it means. Ending the
> sentence with "per media steram" might also
> help to remind the reader about the semantics.
> I leave to you to change these if you want.)

OK, I'm happy to add the additional clarification.  The paragraph now reads:

    In an answer, 'hlang-send' is the language the answerer will send
    when using the media (which in most cases is one of the languages in
    the offer's 'hlang-recv'), and 'hlang-recv' is the language the
    answerer expects to receive in the media (which in most cases is one
    of the languages in the offer's 'hlang-send').

--
Randall Gellens
I would suggest that there is s very significant danger that