Re: [Slim] I-D Action: draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language-07.txt

Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> Sat, 25 February 2017 10:05 UTC

To: Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org>, slim@ietf.org, Natasha Rooney <nrooney@gsma.com>, Bernard Aboba <bernard.aboba@gmail.com>
From: Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 11:04:53 +0100
Subject: Re: [Slim] I-D Action: draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language-07.txt

Randall,

Fine, I find that we have only issues 5, 6 and 12 still to discuss.

You did not answer issue 6, use of asymmetrical language rather than
unidirectional media. I assume you accepted it.

On 5, the request to reinsert wording about seeing the speaker in video,
it is still a huge difference in specifying a preference to see the
speaker for language perception reasons, versus only specifying that I
want a video stream for supplementary purposes. With the current wording
in version -07, section 5.3 says that that combination is undefined.
Nothing in the LC discussion indicated that it should be undefined. Why
did you suddenly want to delete it? It is useful. Please reinsert with
the wording changes I propose.

On 12, the meaning of the placement of the asterisk, you ask:
"Making the asterisk a purely-advisory hint as to the least-preferred
media/language combination seems harmless enough, as it would not be
required to support it; however, I'm not sure it provides any benefit:
if an offer contains some set of media with language, and the answerer
can support all of them, should the answerer only include in its answer
those without an asterisk? It seems simpler for the answerer to include
everything in the offer that it can support."

The answering party should aim at answering with one of the languages
that is without the asterisk in the offer. Only if the answering party
does not have capability in a language without an asterisk, one with
asterisk should be selected. Thereby you get the best opportunity to
start the call in a language combination that satisfies both users.

Example: A hard-of-hearing user can just barely conduct spoken calls
with persons she knows. From others it is much more reliable to get
text.  She calls and declares:

m=audio
a=huml-send:en
a=huml-recv:en*
m=text
a=huml-recv:en

The answering party with text capabilities sees that matching text for
sending is higher preferred than talking, and thus  responds:

m=audio
a=huml-recv:en
m=text
a=huml-send:en

The answering party sends the initial greeting in text and the call
continues smoothly in well managed langauage/modality combinations.

Another called party may not have text capabilities, and may therefore
select the less favoured alternative with using speech both ways, answering:

m=audio
a=huml-recv:en
a=huml-send:en
m=text 0

The answering party starts taking and the parties try as well as
possible to manage the call in this less preferred combination that may
be less reliable.

If the placement of the asterisk had no special meaning as it is in
version -07, it is a high risk that the answering party in the first
example would select to answer with spoken language that would be
unreliably received. Time and effort would be spent by speech to make
the answering party switch to sending text instead of talking in order
to arrange for a more reliable call situation.

If instead the caller only indicated the most favoured combinations,

m=audio
a=huml-send:en
m=text
a=huml-recv:en

Then the answering parties without text capability would not dare to try
to answer, and a reasonably successful call would be missed.

Many other similar realistic examples can be created, where placement of
the asterisk(s) would be a sufficient indication of lower preference for
language match among alternatives that would make call establishment
successful and smooth in many more cases than without this indication
opportunity.

Do you want more examples?

Please accept proposal 12.

Regards