Re: [spring] SRv6 compression

Vasilenko Eduard <vasilenko.eduard@huawei.com> Tue, 03 August 2021 10:49 UTC

From: Vasilenko Eduard <vasilenko.eduard@huawei.com>
To: Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston=40liquidtelecom.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, "li_zhenqiang@hotmail.com" <li_zhenqiang@hotmail.com>, "spring@ietf.org" <spring@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2021 10:49:30 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.47.195.67]
Subject: Re: [spring] SRv6 compression

Hi all,
The number of people who could write the same as below but substitute “CRH” for “SRv6” is much bigger.
Because the number of SRv6 installations is much bigger.
If they would become proprietary then it would be even more harmful.
It is exactly the essence of this 2y old dilemma: Nobody sees a win-win solution.
Andrew, sorry, but you are not proposing it too. What you are proposing: the minority would win, the majority would lose.

I do not understand why this dispute still exists.
IMHO: it was decided by IETF at the time when SRH has been promoted to RFC 8754.
From that time, carriers chosen RFC believes that it is standard. It would be not fair to say to them now that IETF has changed the mind – RFC 8754 is a dead end.

Carriers that have chosen to implement personal draft (draft-bonica-6man-comp-rtg-hdr) were probably aware that it is a proprietary solution and may stay proprietary forever.

The problem could potentially hang indefinitely.
It would aggravate over time because more and more installations would diverge to incompatible solutions.
We are losing precious time. The more time – the more painful would be the decision.

Dear chairs,
If all augments are presented (I am not positive about it) then maybe voting?
For you to see who is the minority and who is the majority.
Not a good resolution for a technical dispute, but it is not purely technical, right?
Another possibility is to improve “convergence”: not to choose the final solution immediately, but cancel any current one from consideration then discuss only what is left.

PS: It is my personal opinion. I am far from the SRv6 team in Huawei.
Just this problem is so big for the community: 240 personal drafts stuck in the queue (in different WGs) waiting for NG data plane for SR over IPv6.
I could not imagine how big activity would start in the whole IETF after the data plane would be decided.
Eduard