Re: [Stox] I-D Action: draft-ietf-stox-7248bis-09.txt

"Ben Campbell" <ben@nostrum.com> Mon, 29 August 2016 22:56 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
To: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 17:56:41 -0500
Cc: stox@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Stox] I-D Action: draft-ietf-stox-7248bis-09.txt

Hi Peter,

I'm going to try to be more responsive on this, and break the apology
loop :-)

I agree we are zeroing in on things here. I think, with this version, I
can better clarify my remaining concern. (I think it's the only thing
left.)

5.2.3 talks about canceling a presence authorization. But from Romeo's
perspective, it does do that; it only cancels the notification session.
SIP has no way for Juliet to explicitly say "I want my permission to see
Romeo's presence info to go away". If Juliet never wants to be notified
again, she simply doesn't subscribe again. Maybe Romeo's system has some
policy that ages out such authorizations over time, but that's not
really relevant to this draft. (It's also possible for Romeo to
unilaterally cancel that authorization, but that's probably more detail
than is needed here.) In simpler terms, Romeo's presence server asks him
if he wants to let Juliet subscribe the first time she tries. For future
subscriptions, it won't ask. If Romeo later decides he prefers less
star-crossed relationships, he can withdraw that permission. Other than
than the initial subscription request, Juliet has no say in the matter.

This is also true for _requesting_ authorization. For example, the only
thing that makes 5.2.1 into a request for authorization (on the SIP
side) is the fact that Juliet is subscribing for the first time. (I'm
not saying 5.2.1 needs to change; I just mention this for background).

Likewise in 5.3.3, Romeo is not asking to be deauthorized. He's just
asking to end the notification session. Now that may not matter, he just
gets re-authorized next time hie sends a SUBSCRIBE request. But he might
be surprised to find that Juliet thought he had requested to be
deauthorized. (Not to mention, that Juliet might feel, well,
"unfriended" :-)  )

This all goes counter to the statement in the 2nd to last paragraph of
5.1 that SIP presence authorizations are managed with SUBSCRIBE
requests. The real situation is that the watcher (Juliet) doesn't manage
these authorizations at all--they are unilaterally managed by the
presentity (Romeo). A SUBSCRIBE request from Juliet may cause Romeo to
be notified that he needs to make an authorization decision if he has
not previously given permission.

So, how to fix this? I'm not sure I have the answer. But one approach
might be to extend 5.1 to be more clear about the difference in
authorization models, then have sections 5.2.x and 5.3.x talk more about
notification sessions than authorization, but mention authorization
state changes in the commentary about the message detail as needed.