Re: [tcpm] TCP tuning

"Biswas, Anumita" <Anumita.Biswas@netapp.com> Wed, 03 February 2010 19:00 UTC

Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 10:39:14 -0800
From: "Biswas, Anumita" <Anumita.Biswas@netapp.com>
To: Jerry Chu <hkchu@google.com>, Michael Welzl <michawe@ifi.uio.no>
Cc: tcpm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [tcpm] TCP tuning

This implies that this proposal brings the intial RTO value to be equal to the minimum RTO value of 1 second. Is this true?

I am going by RFC 2988, section 2, 2.4. It explicitly states this:

" (2.4) Whenever RTO is computed, if it is less than 1 second then the
         RTO SHOULD be rounded up to 1 second.

         Traditionally, TCP implementations use coarse grain clocks to
         measure the RTT and trigger the RTO, which imposes a large
         minimum value on the RTO.  Research suggests that a large
         minimum RTO is needed to keep TCP conservative and avoid
         spurious retransmissions [AP99].  Therefore, this
         specification requires a large minimum RTO as a conservative
         approach, while at the same time acknowledging that at some
         future point, research may show that a smaller minimum RTO is
         acceptable or superior."

Is it time to reconsider a smaller minimum RTO as well?