Re: [tcpm] informal poll about initial cwnd

Murari Sridharan <muraris@microsoft.com> Fri, 07 January 2011 02:43 UTC

From: Murari Sridharan <muraris@microsoft.com>
To: "mallman@icir.org" <mallman@icir.org>, "tcpm@ietf.org" <tcpm@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 02:45:12 +0000
x-originating-ip: [157.54.123.12]
Subject: Re: [tcpm] informal poll about initial cwnd

Orders of magnitude jump in bandwidth, with majortiy of link upgrades take time so i prefer a simple approach, its been a while since we updated Cwnd and there is evidence of larger windows along the values proposed so i'd stongly prefer A. However hosts MUST monitor loss patterns and revert to older defaults and cache these settubgs per-network. We already cache per-network properties so it should be trivial to do. There are things i like in (B) which could be folded into a proposal recommending A. Everything else is unnecessarily complex and is likely to be error prone.

Thanks
Murari