Re: [tcpm] informal poll about initial cwnd

"Biswas, Anumita" <Anumita.Biswas@netapp.com> Fri, 07 January 2011 01:20 UTC

Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 17:22:36 -0800
From: "Biswas, Anumita" <Anumita.Biswas@netapp.com>
To: "Scheffenegger, Richard" <rs@netapp.com>, John Heffner <johnwheffner@gmail.com>, mallman@icir.org
Cc: tcpm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [tcpm] informal poll about initial cwnd

Fwiw, I prefer us going with (C) as well. A static value always has the problem that it has to be revisited frequently and there is no guarantee that it is correct for a given environment. Some implementations may be more aggressive than others in setting the static value by not following the standard spec as well.

As we have seen from the many discussions on tcpm on IW, the problem is complex to solve. So I am not sure if we can reach consensus quickly on the algorithm to increase/decrease IW. In the spirit of making forward progress, perhaps it makes sense to increase the IW "somewhat" statically (option A) and continue to work on the dynamic algorithm proposal.

Also the loss distribution across all connections on a host is not uniform when that host has connections to destinations on widely varying networks (LANs and WANs). In a perfect world, path heuristics of each connection should play into the algorithm (RTT, delay, local/remote destination) so that the least lossy connections get the highest IW versus the most lossy connections getting lower IWs.

Cheers,
Anumita.