Re: [tcpm] informal poll about initial cwnd

"SCHARF, Michael" <Michael.Scharf@alcatel-lucent.com> Thu, 06 January 2011 23:02 UTC

Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 00:04:03 +0100
From: "SCHARF, Michael" <Michael.Scharf@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: tcpm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [tcpm] informal poll about initial cwnd

I would allow (A) because of its simplicity, but the same I-D should
also mandate implementors to carefully monitor the impact and strongly
recommend to revert to IW3 if any harm is observed. As one potential
(recommended?) solution for this, it could propose a procedure somehow
along the lines of (C).

IMHO implementors MUST really carefully monitor the impact of an
increased IW, in particular for large-scale deployments. This can be
done by a procedure similar to draft-touch-tcpm-automatic-iw-00, but
probably also by other control loops, e. g., by regularly monitoring
transaction times at application level. The IETF should describe one
application-agnostic way of monitoring the impact of a larger IW, but
also allow implementors to come up with other solutions.

Michael