Re: [TERNLI] Notes from tonight's ad hoc

Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk> Thu, 03 August 2006 04:47 UTC

Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 21:29:14 +0100
To: Aaron Falk <falk@ISI.EDU>
From: Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [TERNLI] Notes from tonight's ad hoc
Cc: ternli@ietf.org

Aaron,

At 16:12 02/08/2006, Aaron Falk wrote:
>I agree with you so I must not be making myself clear.  What I mean
>is to select those characteristics of the path which are possibly/
>generally of interest to transport.  It seems to me as though some of
>those characteristics will be more clearly visible to the network
>(e.g., path), some to the link (or subnetwork, really) (e.g., loss
>rate).
>
>I'm not asserting I have an answer here.  Just probing the problem.

I prefer to talk specifics (but excuse me if I've missed some shared
context - I missed the ad hoc BoF, but I've tried to pick it up from the
archive)...

We certainly know what info the *congestion control* part of the transport
needs: congestion and delay. So for that we merely need to signal the
information the transport needs in packets. And if either of these values
changes, it's obvious it's changed. Surely the transport doesn't then need
a "something's changed" message. Surely the problem is that the netwk layer
doesn't signal congestion information with enough precision for the modern
transport's needs.

My personal preference is to keep the DoS-resistant model where lower layer
info is piggy-backed on packets to the receiver, then the receiver deals
with feedback.

So we would need the following changes to protocols:
* a multi-bit netwk layer congestion field within the forwarded packet.
* the addition of multi-bit congestion feedback in transport protocols.

A drastic change in load at any router would immediately be visible as a
change in this higher-precision congestion field (if it's a re-route but
the new path has the same congestion, the transport doesn't need to know
anything has changed). A multi-bit congestion field would also quickly
bootstrap a connection's knowledge of path congestion in the feedback from
the very first packet.

I'm not just choosing congestion as the signal because we already have it.
There is a good argument for why it is right (and other metrics are wrong).

Congestion is a probability p in [0,1] which represents the proportion of
the load unlikely to be able to be served. IMHO, signalling p with more
precision is *better* than signalling explicit rate information (like
QS/XCP). p gives as much information as signalling explicit rate infomation
without the router having to decide who gets what.

For instance, the variable p is the internal variable in the RED algorithm
that drives the random dice throw to decide whether to {drop | mark ECN} or
not. I'm saying routers should write this number into the multi-bit
congestion field of each packet (accumulating it from multiple routers is
described later).

 From p, the source can work out the excess rate it is sending like this:
if the local congestion on an interface is p, incoming load is Y and
outgoing capacity is X, then p ~ (Y-X)/Y. So if every flow getting signal p
reduced its rate by p%, they would all fit through the available capacity.
But of course, sources actually do some form of AIMD to allow for new flows
etc, but the alg is essentially designed to converge on a rate that is p%
lower than the one being used. Essentially, a signal of p can be reverse
engineered to get a rate signal.

But the important difference is that p is normalised, so it is
proportionate to the bit rate sent in each flow but the router doesn't have
to understand flows. Basically, the router doesn't have to dish out
bandwidth allocations, which saves it understanding who it is dishing out
stuff to.

If instead the router dishes out rate to flows (like XCP/QS), sources can
cheat by splitting one flow into multiple flows. The idea that fairness
means that all flows should get equal rate is completely daft and should
never have taken hold - it's just soooo vulnerable to cheating by splitting
flow IDs.

The other strength of using p, is that it can be combined properly when
there are multiple bottlenecks. The accumulation algorithm to update the
header field h as it passes through a router with local congestion p should
use combinatorial probability
         h  <-    1 - (1-h)(1-p)
So, for instance, if there are two bottlenecks, with p of 5% and 1%, the
header would end up carrying h = 5.95% (= 100% - 95%*99%).

This way, the traffic matrix packs into the network most efficiently. It
stems from the meaning of congestion as a probability. Finding the minimum
bottleneck (like XCP & QS) isn't necessarily the best approach.

Basically, I'm saying
a) Instead of signalling "something's changed", I believe it is more
practical to continuously signal the "something".
b) What congestion control needs most is greater precision for the
congestion signal
c) There are strong but subtle reasons for using probability as a universal
congestion signal that lead to overall simplicity when the whole picture is
taken into account (which we lose if we adopt QS or XCP).

Bob

Bob Briscoe, <bob.briscoe@bt.com>      Networks Research Centre, BT Research
B54/77 Adastral Park,Martlesham Heath,Ipswich,IP5 3RE,UK.    +44 1473 645196