Re: [TLS] Data volume limits

"Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL" <uri@ll.mit.edu> Wed, 16 December 2015 17:09 UTC

From: "Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL" <uri@ll.mit.edu>
To: Watson Ladd <watsonbladd@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 17:09:34 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.25.177.65]
Cc: "tls@ietf.org" <tls@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [TLS] Data volume limits

On 12/16/15, 10:50, "Watson Ladd" <watsonbladd@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 10:44 AM, Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL
><uri@ll.mit.edu> wrote:
>> OK, let me try an extremely naïve approach.
>>
>> Say, an adversary observes a ton of TLS traffic between A and B. Using
>> approach that Watson and others outlined, he can now tell that this is
>>not a
>> truly random stream but a bunch of encrypted data. My question is, from
>> practical real-world point of view - so what? (Of course, beyond the
>>ability
>> to publish a real paper that IND-* has been compromised :)
>>
>> If there are practical consequences, like loss of confidentiality – I’m
>> dying to hear the outline of a practical attack.
>
>The problem is that people design systems assuming something like
>indistinguishability. And so when you violate that assumption, all
>bets are off.

I don’t buy this. AFAIK, TLS has not been designed based on that
assumption. And I’m not making any bets. :)

But:

>What is the actual problem with either implementing rekeying, or
>limiting data to something like 128 GByte per connection?

As far as I’m concerned - none (no problem). And if there’s a way to
enforce rekeying sooner than that (limiting data-under-one-key to a MUCH
smaller amount) - I’d be in favor of that too. I just don’t accept the
above justification for it - and want to be shown how loss of IND property
in TLS context leads to a practical attack.