Re: [Tools-discuss] Why post text and not XML?

Jean Mahoney <jmahoney@amsl.com> Sat, 16 March 2024 21:16 UTC

Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 16:16:47 -0500
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>, tools-discuss <tools-discuss@ietf.org>
From: Jean Mahoney <jmahoney@amsl.com>
Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] Why post text and not XML?

Hi all,

> John,
>
> Thanks for explaining.
>
> In line...
>

> On 17-Mar-24 07:51, John C Klensin wrote:
>>

>> --On Saturday, March 16, 2024 17:13 +1300 Brian E Carpenter
>> <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> More confusingly, there are still a few current drafts
>>> submitted as txt only. No XML at all. I wonder why we still
>>> allow that, and what tools people are using.

[JM] The RPC still allows the submission of text files, but only 3% of
the documents that entered the queue in 2023 were text only.

> I certainly don't care about the XML as such; what I miss
> is the HTML version, which is much nicer to read than either
> the plain text or the HTMLized version. My problem statement
> was too simple.
>
> Is it possible for you to submit the .txt and the .html versions?
>
>>> Doesn't this
>>> create busywork if the document progresses?
>>
>> As one of the offenders, I think I have explained this before
>> but let me do it again.  Short answer: it is a side-effect of
>> work that makes the document development process in WGs much
>> more efficient in part because it makes "we have been over that
>> before, in YYYYMM, and reached those conclusions because..."
>> input much easier and more accessible.  It also helps in
>> preparation of accurate final change summaries and
>> acknowledgment easier and more accurate.  The "tools" are an
>> emacs-clone editor with an XML mode and a handful of personal
>> macros and templates.   The only "busywork" is stripping that
>> stuff out just before the XML is handed to the RPC.
>
> Good. I was concerned about the RPC having to synthesize the
> XML from a plain text submission.

[JM] The RPC uses id2xml to covert text documents to RFCXML v3, but it
is a time-consuming process to get those documents into good shape. The
id2xml conversion step only gets a text document part of the way there.

Best regards,
Jean