[rbridge] Updated charter

michsmit at cisco.com (Michael Smith) Mon, 31 January 2005 08:58 UTC

From: "michsmit at cisco.com"
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 08:58:37 +0000
Subject: [rbridge] Updated charter

Assuming the hosts are using DHCP, DHCP snooping at the ingress bridge can
be used to verify the MAC-to-IP binding ensuring that the DHCP policy is
enforced.  If static addressing is used, then there should probably be a
static entry in the MAC-IP binding table.  That said, static addressing and
mobility usually don't mix.

> > IMHO, this
> > is functionality much better performed within the ingress rbridge
> > rather than the egress host.
>
> perhaps if all switches and hosts are under the same
> administration and the network admins are good enough to tell
> host admins that their switches detected this anomalous behavior....
>
> but that presumes a state of organizational and operational
> harmony between network and host administrators that i have
> rarely encountered in the production networks I'm familiar with.

My understanding is that host addressing is usually in the domain of the
networking folks.  But in general, I agree, there are sometimes
organizational issues which in this case is probably between the network and
the security admins.  Typically, administrators have a much better idea of
the networking gear attached to their network than the hosts they have
attached. Relying on the rbridge to enforce MAC-IP binding seems much more
manageable than leaving it to the wide multitude of host devices on the
network.

Michael

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 11:56, Michael Smith wrote:

> > What should it do when it can't tell?   If you allow for mobility
> > and unmanaged operation, you're going to have to allow for
> > addresses to pop up at perhaps unexpected places, and *that*
> > is what will cause DoS potential.
>
> Assuming the hosts are using DHCP, DHCP snooping at the ingress bridge can
> be used to verify the MAC-to-IP binding ensuring that the DHCP policy is
> enforced.  If static addressing is used, then there should probably be a
> static entry in the MAC-IP binding table.  That said, static addressing and
> mobility usually don't mix.

That didn't actually answer my question.

I repeat: what should rbridges do when they can't tell whether the MAC-IP binding is
authorized?

My suggestion regarding mirroring the arps is not intended to replace enforcement
when such mechanisms exist.

Instead, it is an attempt to get an out-of-the-box, unmanaged rbridge net to behave
at least as well as a broadcast ethernet domain behaves -- the host being spoofed
will quickly become aware that spoofing is going on!

						- Bill