[rbridge] Updated charter

touch at ISI.EDU (Joe Touch) Wed, 02 February 2005 18:00 UTC

From: "touch at ISI.EDU"
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:00:16 +0000
Subject: [rbridge] Updated charter

Erik Nordmark wrote:
> Joe Touch wrote:
>
>> The basis of the Internet is a single address layer that spans
>> different link layers. There are numerous problems stemming from the
>> rbridge basically needing to proxy the semantics of two different L2
>> systems.
>
> The Internet architecture assumes very little about the L2
> infrastructure. For instance, it works with L2s that preserve the same
> L2 header (Ethernet being one example) but also over L2s that only use
> local identifiers (such as DLCIs in frame relay).
>
> I don't see how running IP over a L2 where the L2 headers are different
> when received than when transmitted will cause problems, as long as the
> protocols involved in L2 address resolution are handled correctly.
>
> So perhaps you can list the numerous problems.

It works fine, as you noted, over pt-pt links, but not over things that
are intended to look like shared media, e.g., subnets.

>> What you're proposing is a router that doesn't decrement the TTL.
>
> No. And I think it is in the interest of clarity, especially during
> these formative times, that we don't reuse old terms for new things.
> So please call it a hybrid, a rbridge, a frobnits, but not a router or a
> bridge, since that will confuse things with the routers and bridges that
> exist today.

Why? It walks like a router, talks like a router, and quacks like a
router. Examining the IP layer, changing L2 headers, etc. The only thing
it doesn't do that a router does - so far - is decrement the TTL. Others
would be, e.g., to limit all 1's broadcast.

>> That's not the same as a bridge that uses routing (vs. spanning tree)
>> internally; the former doesn't include L2 semantics, the latter does.
>> The latter presumes a single L2 semantics, which is easy to verify.
>> The former (as you suggest) allows multiple L2s, but does NOT preserve
>> L2 semantics.
>
> What we are talking about is a hybrid, which includes L2 semantics but
> might not preserve L2 semantics when carrying IP packets.

Huh? You're preserving L2 semantics but only for IP, which doesn't care
(above) about such preservation?

>> That means a lot of IP will break where/when the L2s have different
>> semantics, e.g., NBMA vs. broadcast. We don't have a uniform L2
>> emulation protocol on which to base an interoperability layer (the
>> PILC WG noted some of its expected properties, but didn't spec it out
>> as such). This work seems like it should avoid L2 translation until
>> that canonical virtual L2 can be spec'd.
>
> I don't think anybody has argued that the protocol will support any L2.
> What's being suggested is that it support some degree of non-uniformity.
> And since we are assuming that ARP/ND be used for L2 address resolution
> there is an unstated assumption that all such L2 support
> broadcast/multicast.

But we were talking about such support in ways that avoided broadcast...

>> That the routing inside the rbridge is opaque to things outside the
>> rbridge.
>
> OK, that I understand.
>
> I think there is a range of semantics that are possible for the hybrids,
> and the WG needs to discuss them.
> At one end we have what you seem to be arguing for, which I'll call
> strict IEEE 802 bridge equivalence,
> This means that the cloud of interconnected hybrids behave the same way
> as an IEEE compliant bridge. I think this means that not only are the L2
> headers not modified, but also that the packets are delivered on the
> ports where an IEEE 802 bridge would deliver them (i.e. all ports for
> broadcast and multicast).

Agreed.

> At another end of the scale we have what I'd call "IP works". In this
> case the cloud of interconnected hybrids collectively exhibit behavior
> so that IPv*/ARP/ND/DHCP etc work as expected.

Why can't we call that a router that doesn't decrement TTL?

> Note that there are probably interesting points between these scales.
> One is what existing switch products do for multicast, which is to do
> IGMP/MLD snooping to limit the spread of multicast.
> Presumably there are others as well.
>
>    Erik

Bridges can - and do limit the spread of multicast. They do not limit
the spread of broadcast based on L3 semantics (unless doing explicit
proxy-arp, but that's not what we're talking about). If there's an
intermediate point between the above two, it'd be useful to figure out
what it IS and why it's needed before we created a WG to design it.

Joe