[rbridge] Updated charter

erik.nordmark at sun.com (Erik Nordmark) Fri, 28 January 2005 21:18 UTC

From: "erik.nordmark at sun.com"
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:18:24 +0000
Subject: [rbridge] Updated charter

Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

> Also: it would be very desirable if the behavior seen by hosts in the presence
> of other misconfigured hosts should be the same or better than what you get
> with a traditional network.
>
> As a specific example, when two or more nodes assert ownership over the same
> address with arp, all nodes should see all the traffic (since hosts can ring
> alarm bells/log/audit/etc. when they're being spoofed).

I think you are stating a potential goal for rbridges that when multiple
hosts claim the same MAC address, they should all receive a copy of
packets to such a MAC address.
Do folks agree that this would be reasonable?

I don't think a solution can guarantee this when there is a mixture of
802.1D bridges and rbridges, because 802.1D bridges don't provide this,
but as long as the hosts are attached to different rbridges I think it
would be possible.

    Erik
El 29/01/2005, a las 6:15, Erik Nordmark escribi?:

> Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
>
>> Also: it would be very desirable if the behavior seen by hosts in the
>> presence
>> of other misconfigured hosts should be the same or better than what
>> you get
>> with a traditional network.
>> As a specific example, when two or more nodes assert ownership over
>> the same
>> address with arp, all nodes should see all the traffic (since hosts
>> can ring
>> alarm bells/log/audit/etc. when they're being spoofed).
>
> I think you are stating a potential goal for rbridges that when
> multiple hosts claim the same MAC address, they should all receive a
> copy of packets to such a MAC address.
> Do folks agree that this would be reasonable?

but, wouldn't this render trivial to sniff any communication across the
whole bridged cloud?
i mean, i don't think it would acceptable to substitute routers by
rbridges if one of the costs is that anyone can sniff any
communication....

Perhaps we need to define link-layer CGA addresses to properly address
this issue?

Regards, marcelo