[rbridge] Updated charter

touch at ISI.EDU (Joe Touch) Tue, 01 February 2005 12:03 UTC

From: "touch at ISI.EDU"
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 12:03:10 +0000
Subject: [rbridge] Updated charter

Fred L. Templin wrote:
| Erik,
|
| The updated Rbridge charter you posted on 1/27/05 doesn't say anything
| about MTU issues for bridging dissimilar layer 2 media. Can we have a
| bullet under work items and deliverables that specifically calls for
| work on MTU issues?
|
| Fred
| fltemplin@acm.org

That part of the proposed charter, notably:

| The working group will look into solutions that can interconnect different
| layer 2 technologies, and also look at providing support for non-IP
protocols,
| even though one can not combine those two features together; the
| interconnection of different layer 2 technologies (with different layer 2
| address formats) will most likely only work for the IP family of
protocols.

Why is interconnection of different L2 technologies either useful or
relevant? IMO, that's not a bridge anymore.

I thought the goal was to build something that looked like a bridge from
the outside. Interconnecting different L2's (different address formats,
TTLs, etc.) is a router, isn't it?

- ----

Also, some of the charter is over-specific:

| The working group will not work any layer 3 aspects except to provide
|  - Optimizations so that ARP and ND packets are not always
|    flooded everywhere
|  - Being able to carry IP multicast packets using flooding (which will
|    presumably fall out by being able to flood L2 multicast packets, so
there
|    might not be any specific work needed here).
|  - Defining the L3 operations needed to interconnect different L2
technologies

IMO, if we want to include, in general terms "optimizations to avoid
unnecessary flooding", or "ability to efficiently handle multicast",
that's good, but specifying HOW those should be achieved, or what
defined efficient, IMO is what the WG ought to decide.

Similar comments apply to the list of work items.

Joe

> Why is interconnection of different L2 technologies either useful or
> relevant? IMO, that's not a bridge anymore.
>
> I thought the goal was to build something that looked like a bridge from
> the outside. Interconnecting different L2's (different address formats,
> TTLs, etc.) is a router, isn't it?

There were folks that expressed interest in this at the BoF, and I
suspect the motivation is the same as for the rest of the work i.e.
avoid the subnet numbering issue one has with IP routers, have the
plug&play of bridges, and a robust protocol.

> Also, some of the charter is over-specific:
>
> | The working group will not work any layer 3 aspects except to provide
> |  - Optimizations so that ARP and ND packets are not always
> |    flooded everywhere
> |  - Being able to carry IP multicast packets using flooding (which will
> |    presumably fall out by being able to flood L2 multicast packets, so
> there
> |    might not be any specific work needed here).
> |  - Defining the L3 operations needed to interconnect different L2
> technologies
>
> IMO, if we want to include, in general terms "optimizations to avoid
> unnecessary flooding", or "ability to efficiently handle multicast",
> that's good, but specifying HOW those should be achieved, or what
> defined efficient, IMO is what the WG ought to decide.

Margaret has been circulating the draft charter amount the IAB and IESG
in advance of it being on their agenda (next week).
The above items were added because Rob Austein thought the charter was
quite nebulous on what was needed in terms of L3, so I tried to clarify
things.

My take is that optimizing multicast delivery above just making it work,
is something which a WG can look into once they've delivered the basic
technology i.e. something that would be reasonable to add after a recharter.

FYI: Some more IAB/IESG comments have come in asking for more
clarifications on the relationship between this WG and the routing
protocol WG(s), so we will most likely need more detail on that front in
the charter.

> Similar comments apply to the list of work items.

My experience is that the IESG wants to see a concrete list of work
items before they want to charter a WG.

    Erik