[rbridge] updated BOF website

touch at ISI.EDU (Joe Touch) Thu, 03 February 2005 09:13 UTC

From: "touch at ISI.EDU"
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 09:13:14 +0000
Subject: [rbridge] updated BOF website

Hi, all,

The Rbridge / IPVLX BOF website has been updated with the current
proposed charter (1/27/2005).

www.postel.org/rbridge

Joe
From touch at ISI.EDU  Thu Feb  3 09:25:58 2005
From: touch at ISI.EDU (Joe Touch)
Date: Thu Feb  3 09:25:57 2005
Subject: [rbridge] Updated charter

Posted to www.postel.org/rbridge

Once we lock on a name, I'll add that to the website...

Joe
- --

From michsmit at cisco.com  Thu Feb  3 14:32:12 2005
From: michsmit at cisco.com (Michael Smith)
Date: Thu Feb  3 14:32:53 2005
Subject: [rbridge] Agenda items?

I think an important issue to discuss is packet reordering.  The current
rbridge proposal introduces a significant possibility of L2 packet
reordering within a network with a stable topology.  IEEE bridges do not
reorder packets except in some corner cases with the new rapid spanning tree
protocol and even then, it is only during a network topology change.  The
traditional spanning tree protocol (non-rapid spanning tree) provides no
packet reordering even during topology change.  Since rbridges are targeted
to support non-IP protocols, this issue should be addressed.

Michael

What aspect of rbridge would cause this?

> IEEE bridges do not
> reorder packets except in some corner cases with the new rapid
spanning
> tree
> protocol and even then, it is only during a network topology change.
The
> traditional spanning tree protocol (non-rapid spanning tree) provides
no
> packet reordering even during topology change.  Since rbridges are
> targeted
> to support non-IP protocols, this issue should be addressed.

Is this increased reordering probability going to break anything? Or,
are you just identifying something that may impact IP+ layer
performance?

Thank you.

Alper