Re: [tsvwg] plan for L4S issue #29

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Wed, 30 September 2020 08:22 UTC

To: Sebastian Moeller <moeller0@gmx.de>, Greg White <g.white@CableLabs.com>
Cc: "Rodney W. Grimes" <ietf@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike=40swm.pp.se@dmarc.ietf.org>, "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 09:21:53 +0100
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] plan for L4S issue #29

See below.

On 30/09/2020 09:00, Sebastian Moeller wrote:
> Dear Greg,
>
> more below in-line, prefixed with [SM]...
>
>> On Sep 30, 2020, at 00:48, Greg White <g.white@CableLabs.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 9/29/20, 10:05 AM, "tsvwg on behalf of Gorry Fairhurst" <tsvwg-bounces@ietf.org on behalf of gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>>     See below.

>>     Yes.

>>     Still possible, if the WG as a whole decides that.
>>
>> We're talking about WGLC to begin an experiment.
> 	[SM] I believe that we are conflating two "experiments" here:
>
> 1) the absolutely required experiments to what degree L4S will realize its claimed characteristics (or its promises) under a number of conditions that are relevant/prevalent in the real world.
> 2) how to deploy L4S in the real world.
>
> If we look carefully at these two experiments it becomes obvious, that an RFC in the experimental track seems necessary for 2), but 1) can and should proceed long before 2) is being addressed. To be blunt, if experiment 1) is not clearly demonstrating improvements over the state of the art, then 2) becomes moot.
>
> @CHAIRS: Could you please let me know, if you agree?
>
>> The interest by the community in achieving the expected benefits of L4S was well represented at the consensus call. I believe that the WG needs to honor the consensus position and move forward with planning the experiment.
> 	[SM] That is a call for experiment 1), but the drafts really aim for experiment 2).
>

>> With appropriate guidance I believe the experiment can commence and we can begin to understand whether any of the concerns raised are real, and if they are, how to resolve them.
> 	[SM] I disagree, at the current time, neither the drafts (L4S and operational guidance) are properly tailored for type 1) experiments.
>
>> For the L4S Operational Guidance draft, I would appreciate constructive input from those who are interested in making the experiment a success (thanks already to Sebastian for his comments).  Important aspects include: If a sender wishes to test an L4S congestion control algorithm (Prague or otherwise) what should they be monitoring to understand how much of a benefit are they getting, what impact are they causing to non-L4S flows, etc.? If a network operator wishes to test an L4S compliant network element, what should they monitor?  What actions should either entity take with the resulting information?
> 	[SM] These are all good points. Let me add a few thoughts here.
>
> Let's assume an endpoint wants to participate in testing it will require a few things:
> 1) a L4S-compatible transport that sets ECT(1), L4S-incompatible transports that set ECT(1), as well as standards compliant transports (ECT(0)/ no ECN)
> 2) one/more L4S-compatible remote endpoints
> 3) a L4S AQM at a bottleneck, that will allow monitoring all traffic (the only way endpoints will be able to assess the side-effects of L4S traffic is to actually terminate all such flows).

> [...]
Let me try as one chair who has seen several TSVWG experiments over the
years:

The WG chose to adopt this some time ago, presumably because they saw
the potential to offer benefit over the state of the art. We now have a
set of working group documents.

The primary consideration for progression of this type of specification
is understanding of the safety of the method for at-scale deployment.
Specifically, for such an experiment, appropiate controls need to be in
place to actively prevent congestion collapse, and avoid
security-related pitfalls. The potential set of issues need to be
teased-out for network operators and the WG to understand how to
evaluate this.

Technical evaluation of performance, latency, fairness, etc is always
welcome - including discussion of published papers and presentations of
results (e.g., in ICCRG). This is however, not the purpose of the TSVWG
specification.

In the future, those choosing to implement and deploy the specification
will provide most useful input to any future progression along the
standards track, and to inform any resulting best current practice - or
indeed, for this WG to understand whether the experiment is ultimately
deemed successful or unsuccessful.

Gorry