Re: I-D.ietf-v6ops-cpe-simple-security-09

Mark Townsley <townsley@cisco.com> Fri, 19 March 2010 20:14 UTC

Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 21:12:26 +0100
From: Mark Townsley <townsley@cisco.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
CC: IPv6 Operations <v6ops@ops.ietf.org>, james woodyatt <jhw@apple.com>, "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <evyncke@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: I-D.ietf-v6ops-cpe-simple-security-09
Sender: owner-v6ops@ops.ietf.org

> Mark, I'm not going to reply to your specific question.

That's too bad.
> The one most clear result from the ISP survey I will report
> on during the IETF is that the biggest gap in products holding
> up general v6 deployment is CPE.

Understood.
> I think it's a matter of great urgency to get this draft
> out as an RFC; it's a couple of years too late.

It's more the implementations that are late, but I get your point.
> So I want to say: let's not add *anything*. Let's just
> push it out in a matter of weeks.

All we are doing is talking about allowing what is now a binary on/off
in the draft now to be a variable between 0 and some maximum instead.
The default could still well be what we have now, 0, though I would like
it to be something else.

I'm not sure that leaving this out will help advance the draft more
quickly. Folks like me, who are quite happy with their native IPv6
service for the past couple of years with no IPv6 firewall, think of
cpe-simple-security as a sword in the heart of IPv6 and end-to-end
transparency. Including "Rule 7" is something that would go a long way
towards at least me stepping back and not making an enormous ruckus when
this draft hits last call.

We've already talked about the idea in v6ops, it's been documented in a
draft for at least a little while, and after Hiroshima I got some
indication that this was something people would like to have. The basic
concept comes from Dave Oran, who included it in various presentations
for years.

So, aside of your fears of changing anything in the draft at all, what
do you think of the idea?

- Mark