Re: [v6ops] discussion of transition technologies

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Mon, 22 January 2018 22:24 UTC

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 23:24:20 +0100
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Ole Troan <otroan@employees.org>
Cc: "v6ops@ietf.org WG" <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] discussion of transition technologies

RFC6180bis should be an ongoing effort with at most 2 yearly new-rfc drops
to track the state of affairs/recommendations.

Reading quickly through it, it for example does IMHO not well highlight
distinguishing between network management itself and network services.
As in: If you try to move towards IPv4 as a service and eliminating dual
stack, better not forget your own network management infra/apps.  Aka:
maybe start bothering about moving your network management to IPv6 first
like SPs have done it. Even if you're just an enterprise: With typical
dev cycles in enterprise anetwork management pps, there is no harm for
bitching to your vendors to support native IPv6 management. Then you will have
on average still 2 years or more time to start doing any IPv6 support in
your network (*sigh*).

More generally, maybe we should start to be more descriptive to such strategies
and more opinionated in rfc6180bis about what Lee called the "gold standard",
aka: inculding more recommendations instead of what i read today as mostly
neutral discussions of pro and cons. As in: IMHO we want to evolve
the "gold standard". And it should not be dual-stack, but single-stack IPv6.
And IPv4 as a service as long as you need that.

Wrt. not being able to create better outcomes with additional work (Ole):
Admittedly, i am not on top of all 26 transition mechanisms, but the way
the IETF works, my impression is that they are driven by only a subset of the
overall IPv6 community (mostly big ISPs and vendors representing them)
and they where more than happy to create stopgaps for current problems than
strategies for achieving a gold standard. And no blame to SPs for this. Thats
the problem of commercial activities. But that should not represent the overall
community. Not even experts in SPs that can manage to spend cycles beyond their
immediate business problems.

If i was looking at a strategy for the new gold standard, the last piece on
the exit strategy from IPv4 would be the question which solution is
best to provide IPv4 as a service WITHOUT BOTHERING THE NETWORK.

Is in the list of 26 any evolved version of SOCKS ? Because that IMHO the
type of solution i would be looking for. Aka: No reason to solve the problem
any lower than in socket (shim) layer (Unfortunately, this also takes it out of the
comfort realm of most network geeks).

Cheers
    Toerless