Re: [v6ops] [Fwd: I-D Action: draft-carpenter-v6ops-icp-guidance-03.txt]

John Mann <john.mann@monash.edu> Mon, 05 March 2012 04:24 UTC

From: John Mann <john.mann@monash.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 15:23:56 +1100
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Cc: IPv6 Operations <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] [Fwd: I-D Action: draft-carpenter-v6ops-icp-guidance-03.txt]

Hi,

---

   An important first step in every strategy is to determine from every
   hardware and software supplier details of their planned dates for
   providing full IPv6 support, with performance equivalent to IPv4, in
   their products and services.
---
I disagree with this being a _first_ step.
Asking _every_ hardware and software supplier can take a lot of time and effort,
and can lead to ICP in-action e.g. if some suppliers are not ready.

Also, "full IPv6 support" can be hard to specify and evaluate -- do
you mean comply with all RFCs,
pass specific certification tests, or just the specific list of
features that you use with IPv4?

My alternate view is

a) Make a policy decision to avoid the creation of any new
customer-facing networks or services that are IPv4-only
b) Enable IPv6 on what you already have, with perhaps some tactical
expenditure to:
   i) get some IPv6 traffic flowing

   ii) start work on the sections described below e.g. external
connectivity, address plan, training, operations, and security.
   iii) get the first IPv6 service operational
c) Build on the experience and success of the first service to plan
and justify subsequent IPv6 steps.

d) Triage your hardware and software
   i) legacy internal IPv4-only systems that don't ever need to support IPv6
   ii) systems that can already support IPv6
   iii) systems due to be replaced soon -- by systems that will
support IPv6 (see (a) above)

   iv) systems that will require extra effort or expenditure to get IPv6 support
   v) problem systems -- e.g. none of the possible suppliers have an
IPv6 roadmap.

====

I think some mention could be made in

   5.2. Routing
that running dual-stack could require twice the routing table space
and forwarding TCAM in the routers

And in
   13. Security Considerations
that running dual-stack could require twice the amount of permission
lists, ACLs, TCAMs etc.

The growth in table size hopefully won't be 5 times (32 bits to 32 + 128 bits),
due to most IPv6 routing only going down to /64s, fewer IPv6 routes,
shorter history of IPv6 exceptions, etc.

Thanks,
    John