Re: [v6ops] new draft: draft-chen-v6ops-ipv6-roaming-analysis

Tore Anderson <tore@fud.no> Thu, 18 July 2013 07:17 UTC

To: GangChen <phdgang@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 09:17:20 +0200
From: Tore Anderson <tore@fud.no>
Cc: v6ops@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [v6ops] new draft: draft-chen-v6ops-ipv6-roaming-analysis

* GangChen

> Thanks for sharing your experience. Yes, you are right.
> There is no such issue if the subscriber's traffic get back to the
> gateway (e.g. GGSN) in the home network.
> The described failure case occurred when the subscriber get an address
> from the GGSN in the visited network. And traffic flows would be
> transmitted in a local-breakout manner.  3GPP allows such
> local-breakout because it has more efficient routing paths. 3GPP also
> specified another architecture called "SIPTO". It guarantees the
> subscriber would always select the closest GGSN to reside.

I see. When roaming, I always get an IP address that belongs to my home
provider (this goes both for IPv4 and IPv6), so I assume that it is the
home network's choice whether or not to enable this "use closest GGSN"
feature?

If so, I'd suggest adding some text that ensuring this feature is
disabled (at least for the IPv6 PDP type, if it is possible to
differentiate between the two) is a good way to prevent IPv6 subscribers
from experiencing problems when roaming in IPv4-only networks.

Tore