Re: [v6ops] draft-464XLAT not a "trial deployment report" - not to be an ietf-v6ops I.D.

Wojciech Dec <wdec.ietf@gmail.com> Mon, 20 February 2012 16:45 UTC

Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 17:45:25 +0100
From: Wojciech Dec <wdec.ietf@gmail.com>
To: Cameron Byrne <cb.list6@gmail.com>
Cc: Russell Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>, v6ops WG <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] draft-464XLAT not a "trial deployment report" - not to be an ietf-v6ops I.D.

On 20 February 2012 16:45, Cameron Byrne <cb.list6@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 3:05 AM, Rémi Després <despres.remi@laposte.net>
> wrote:
> > Hi Brian,

> >> fwiw I agree with that. I think v6ops is the appropriate venue
> >> for descriptions of how to knit existing protocol specs together
> >> in operational scenarios.
> >>
> >> I do object slightly to the way draft-ietf-v6ops-464xlat uses
> >> the word "architecture". It's an operational scenario, not an
> >> architecture, IMHO.
> >
> > The draft says "No new protocol required", but:
> >
> > 1.
> > Section 7.5 says:
> > "In the best case, the CLAT will have a dedicated /64 via DHCPv6 or
> other means to source and receive IPv6 packets associated with the
> [RFC6145] stateless translation of IPv4 packets to the local clients."
> > How this is provided via DHCPv6 has AFAIK to be specified.
> >

> If i may clarify,  DHCPv6 PD may provide the CPE with many /64.  The
> CPE may choose any /64 that it is delegated for this purpose.  Nothing
> new here. No special DHCP parameters.
>
> > Note that RFC5969 says "6rd specifies a protocol mechanism" although it
> is also using just a stack of previously available protocols, with new
> parameters obtained in DHCP.
> >
> > 2.
> > The same section says:
> > "In cases where the access network does not allow for a dedicated
> translation prefix, the CLAT SHOULD take ownership of the lowest /96 from
> an attached interface's /64 to source and receive translation traffic.
> Establishing ownership of the /96 requires that the CLAT SHOULD perform NDP
> so that no other nodes on the /64 may use the lowest /96."
> >
> > This is AFAIK a new specification, which requires specific code.
> > If not, I am interested in learning why.
> >

> I can tell you have seen this behavior before on a NAT-PT platform.
> But, also nothing new IMHO.  The /96 is logically owned by the CPE as
> a virtual address.  Thus, the CPE does NDP to avoid collisions.

As far as I can tell, there is no specification except the xlat464 draft
which (attempts to) define that a device with /64, or a PD, prefix should
derive a /96 from it and use the lower 32 bits for stateless mapping an(y)
received arbitrary source IPv4 addresses.
Yes there is clear use of existing stateless NAT64 here, applied in a very
specific way; the proof point being that any regular NAT64 capable device
that one would put on a network would, afaik, not accomplish all of the
above "auto magically" when connecting to the network.

-Woj.