Re: [vmeet] Comments on today's vMeet webex session

"Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond" <ocl@gih.com> Sat, 02 May 2009 10:03 UTC

From: Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl@gih.com>
To: Dave CROCKER <dcrocker@bbiw.net>, vMeet@ietf.org
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 12:02:56 +0200
Subject: Re: [vmeet] Comments on today's vMeet webex session

Hi everybody,

sorry for the delay in providing my feedback to this session - in my
defense, may I say that I was travelling and actually working to earn
a living (rather than spending time on way too many pro-bono projects
:-) ) - still, I'm sorry, and I hope this is not coming too late when
memories have faded & the iron isn't hot anymore.

Just a few notes/questions wrt the Webex experience:

- I connected via an overloaded 8M ADSL line in London, which
initially started out as poor connectivity to the Webex Web site. It
took me more than 10 minutes to get the meeting pages loading,
re-trying several times after the program hung and did not load.
Easing the load on the ADSL line finally allowed me to get online,
although still with some difficulty.

- For a fully accessible IETF e-meeting, we should be able to
establish if each software we test can run under various platforms,
from a Pentium II running Win 95 to the latest multi-processor machine
running Win 7, through various guises of Linux, Macs etc. That's why I
was hoping that e-meeting participants provide a list of
the problems they encountered alongside what type of hardware/software
they were using. For example, we found out that smaller screen size /
larger zoom, made the whiteboard and/or presentations jump on screen
when the person having its control was moving the cursor around.
Should we establish minimum technical set-up for a satisfactory
e-meeting experience? Minimum screen resolution/size? Can I access
the Webex visual experience through my iPOD/Nokia/Blackberry?

- a question I forgot to ask at the time of the experiment: if the
telephone call drops out during the meeting, does one have to log-out
from the online e-meeting & log-in again in order to re-establish the
telephone call?

- bad telephone lines: I think that we had no participants calling
with a bad telephone line - say, some satellite-routed calls having
echo, digital distorsion, loud background noise. How does the Webex
software deal with those? I've read your notes re: echo, but what
about the rest? Can participants be arbitrarily muted by the meeting
controller? (also good to dispense of people wishing to tune-in to
purposely disrupt the meeting)

Last but not least, I'd like to echo everybody else in thanking Eliot
for setting this experiment up. When's the next one?

Kind regards,

Olivier

--
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD