Re: DISPATCH Virtual Meeting

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Wed, 25 March 2020 23:57 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: "Deen, Glenn (NBCUniversal)" <Glenn.Deen@nbcuni.com>, "wgchairs@ietf.org" <wgchairs@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: DISPATCH Virtual Meeting
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 19:57:09 -0400

Deen, Glenn (NBCUniversal) <Glenn.Deen@nbcuni.com> wrote:
    > It thought everything worked pretty well yesterday for ADD. Like chairs
    > have done - Dave Lawrence and myself coordinated ahead of time to split
    > who would be running the slides and agenda and who would be managing
    > the queue and speakers line.   It turned out that was super helpful to
    > have Dave running the queue as once I put Webex into presentation mode
    > it rearranged my WebEx windows and I could no longer see the chat
    > window.

It was very obvious that you guys had done some thinking ahead of time, and
that's a major reason why it went so well.
Thank you for this.

I also thank Dave for actually enforcing and moderating the mic queue.

    > Another thing that helped was having a second laptop

This is very good advice.
(I wish that we could drive the slides into the meeting directly from the
datatracker... if only we had an open protocol we code against)

If you can't do that, then WG chairs, please do the following.
1) open a new window for your browser. Size that window to be about 1024x768
   or so.  That should fit in a corner of your 2x 2K+ monitors.
   (DONT USE JUST YOUR LAPTOP SCREEN.  No, you can't run the meeting from a
   coffee shop, even if they were open, or the couch)
2) open each of the presentations in a tab on the browser.
3) share that *application* (rather than screen or browser tab).
   You should be able to tile things so that you can see everything.

4) use the mute on your microphone if you can't easily find the webex mute
   button. It's very easy to find on the webrtc version.  Use the webrtc
   version.

If anyone wants to practice, schedule an extra meeting.
I'm happy to chime in and help.

You'll want to make sure you have the volume/input mixer visible, so you can
gage if you are clipping when you speak or not.

    > Microphones are a huge deal for these.  We have most speakers coming
    > through clearly, but one had a poor microphone and we had many
    > complaints about trouble hearing him.

    > It would be helpful if we could identify particular brands/models of
    > microphones that work really well and share that info.   While they may
    > be hard to get currently, many of us do calls as a regular part of the
    > day and having good gear is a kind gift to everyone else on the calls.

I have had many compliments on remote presentations I have done, and many
asked.  I use a $60 gamer headset, with a boom mic that I can rotate away
from my face.  Mine has a mute and volume control thing.
I seldom use the mute button if I can avoid it, because too many controls.
I have taped the volume control so that it doesn't jump around.

My opinion is that smartphone headphones (a la Apple) with the mic resting on
your chest are too sensitive.  I watch people lifting them up in front of
their face, and it just don't work.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-