meetecho recordings and slide presentation anti-pattern

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Fri, 14 August 2020 02:33 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: WG Chairs <wgchairs@ietf.org>
Subject: meetecho recordings and slide presentation anti-pattern
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 22:33:29 -0400

I am watching youtube recordings for WGs that I had in conflict.
here is a screenshot of it:
  http://www.sandelman.ca/tmp/mcrcapture/2790.2020-08-13/capture1.png

It's nice to have the IETF108 and Ericsson logo.  But, none of the
who is speaking info is present.  It could go up there next to the logo, or
next to the WG name.
Notice what proportion of the video window is used for the slide itself.
Meetecho has a border. Then PPT has a tool bar. And a slide finder on the left.
No matter how big I make it on my screen, I can't read it easily, because not
enough pixel detail was captured.

Of course, the ideal solution is that meetecho protect the PDF itself, but we
don't have that yet, and this advice applies to zoom, webex, jitsi, whereby
as well.

Why are we getting this pathology?  because of powerpoint pathologies.
People are learning now to go into slide mode, because that takes over an
entire screen.  They are learning to not go into slide mode at all, but to
project just the application window.  But, a bunch of people are using
browsers that either do a tab, or the entire screen only.

Given current limitations what should you do:
  1) print to PDF. Upload that.  If you have animations, there are ways of
     dealing.
  2) use simplest PDF viewer possible. Browser is good, but can be annoying
     to get it full screen, etc. as we have learned with the chair-table
     chromebooks.
  3) size the PDF window to about 1024x768 (thinking fondly of 1999, when the
     Internet was best viewed in that size).  That's enough pixels but not
     too many. Sending fewer pixels allows each of them to take up more space
     on the target viewer's screen, and means they don't have zoom.
     Also, if your slides look like crap at that resolution, then fix the slides.

Will this help for IETF108? Obviously not. I will go get the slide PDF and
view them directly.  Will this help future virtual interims? I hope so.

I did make a screen shot of my setup when co-chairing ASDF. I was going to
label all the windows and why they are positioning where they are, but I
thought it was a waste of time.  I could do that if there is interest.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-