Re: need a new name for ADMD=IMX

Paul Rarey <Paul.Rarey@ssf-sys.dhl.com> Thu, 24 February 1994 15:27 UTC

Date: Thu, 24 Feb 1994 07:14:58 -0800
To: Ola Johansson <Ola.Johansson@tip.net>, ietf-osi-x400ops@cs.wisc.edu, cxii@es.net
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Paul Rarey <Paul.Rarey@ssf-sys.dhl.com>
Subject: Re: need a new name for ADMD=IMX
Cc: bal@tip.net, eon@tip.net, hh@tip.net

At 12:41 PM 2/24/94 +0100, Ola Johansson wrote:

>Is INTX intended to be used by any x.400 admd operator as a virtual admd
>address, and in that case; how many operators are willing (and/or able) to
>implement this "virtual" admd to point to a (rfc-1327 compliant?)
>x.400/rfc-822 gateway?

Market forces will tell.

>Anyway, I think that this admd=INTX could be registered as a virtual admd
>*without* any country code. Is that possible?

Who would you register the vertiual ADMD with? Aka - what international
registration body is there that Country ADMD providers recognize and will
accept?  To my knowledge there is not a recognized authority for registering
vertual ADMD names. ADMD values by their very definition are Country specific.

ISO 3166 rules the roost on C= values. Not that they dictate what can go
there, simpley that ADMD's generally (read darn near all), require the C=
value to be a recognized 3166 code. There as been a lot of discussion about
a C=WW value providing a virtual Country Code, but it seem unlikely that
this will happen unless non-country affiliated organizations stand up to ISO
and push it.

Takers...? (he says hopefully...:-)

Best regards...,

Paul S. Rarey             DHL Systems Inc.  Ph: 415 375-5152
Manager, Infastructure    700 Airport Blvd  Fx: 415 375-5018
Research and Planning     Burlingame, Ca. 90104-1937  US

Internet:  Paul.Rarey@ssf-sys.DHL.COM
X.400:     [ No Longer Required ]