need a new name for ADMD=IMX

Allan Cargille <cargille@calypso.cs.wisc.edu> Wed, 23 February 1994 22:56 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Allan Cargille <cargille@calypso.cs.wisc.edu>
Subject: need a new name for ADMD=IMX
To: ietf-osi-x400ops@calypso.cs.wisc.edu, cxii@es.net
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 1994 16:53:54 -0600

Hi, this message is for people interested in the topic of creating and
registering the virtual ADMD "C=us; ADMD=IMX;".

After much discussion, people agreed that a good name for the ADMD
would be "IMX".  Vint Cerf had CNRI do a trademark search on this string.
Unfortunately, their report indicated that there is a collision with
other registered uses of IMX.  Therefore, we feel that it is necessary
to identify a new name for our ADMD that people are happy with.

In informal discussions with Stef, I proposed a possible new name for
the ADMD of "INTX".  This has connotations of being related to the
Internet, to X.400, and to mail eXchange.  The CNRI trademark search
did check for INTX, and the string is available.

Stef has the report that CNRI completed.  If people do not like INTX,
we can discuss other possible names.  Perhaps other proposed names
were already included in the CNRI report.  If not, a trademark search
on those strings would be necessary.

Once we agree on the ADMD name, the UW will register the ADMD at ANSI.

Opinions, anyone?

Cheers,

allan

--
Allan Cargille                  Computer Sciences Department
Internet X.400 Project          University of Wisconsin-Madison