Re: need a new name for ADMD=IMX

MIKE STEIN 202-260-7444 <STEIN.MIKE@epamail.epa.gov> Fri, 25 February 1994 14:42 UTC

Date: Fri, 25 Feb 1994 07:55:00 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: MIKE STEIN 202-260-7444 <STEIN.MIKE@epamail.epa.gov>
Subject: Re: need a new name for ADMD=IMX
To: "bal@tip.net" <bal@tip.net>
Cc: "ietf-osi-x400ops@cs.wisc.edu" <ietf-osi-x400ops@cs.wisc.edu>, "cxii@es.net" <cxii@es.net>
X400-Mts-Identifier: [;61309052204991/856452@MAIL]
A1-Type: MAIL
Hop-Count: 0

          Bernt-

          Your "first_name.initial.surname@org_unit.org.prmd.admd.country"
          concept would certainly produce a very intuitive and readable
          address, but I think it would quickly degrade adding generation,
          multiple ou and dda elements as well as X.400 elements that
          contain spaces or problem characters. If a user had no initial,
          (as in your own X.400 address,) would it be
          "first_name..surname"?

          I have been getting the group email distributions for some time--
          in fact, I'm blessed by two copies of everything via the x400 ops
          and the cxii lists... Some of the discussions are great, some,
          like this Internet ADMD name thing tend towards silly AND THEY
          SEEM TO MISS THE POINT... Isn't it more important to come up with
          a better addressing scheme that's simple, intuitive and
          informative? A scheme that would be notation and routing
          compatible on both sides of the fence NOW. One which would prod
          long and complex X.400 addresses as well as short and cryptic
          Internet addresses to atrophy.

          -Mike Stein