Re: [apps-discuss] [link-relations] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-ohye-canonical-link-relation-00.txt

Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> Sun, 03 July 2011 07:56 UTC

Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 09:55:56 +0200
From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
To: Maile Ohye <maileko@gmail.com>
Cc: "link-relations@ietf.org" <link-relations@ietf.org>, joachim@kupke.za.net, IETF Apps Discuss <apps-discuss@ietf.org>, Bjartur Thorlacius <svartman95@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] [link-relations] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-ohye-canonical-link-relation-00.txt

On 2011-07-03 03:23, Maile Ohye wrote:
> 1. OPEN. F. Ellermann:
> A relative canonical URL can't be a good idea.  If there is more thanone
> "content URL" (in the terminology of the draft) this would resultin more
> than one canonical URL, defeat the purpose, and worse, thiscould make
> googlebot angry.
> --response by F. Ellermann: “... But now I see that relativecan be
> perfectly fine if and only if all incarnations exist on the sameserver,
> e.g., http://example/xyzzy.html?any-querycould get a relativecanonical
> URL xyzzy.html?default or similar.  A better example in thedraft
> explaining when a relative canonical URL is okay could help.”
> --response by M. Ohye: “We could add a relative URL in the Examples section:
> Then duplicate content URIs such as:
> http://www.example.com/page.php?item=purse&category=bags
> <http://www.example.com/page.php?item=purse&category=bags>
> http://www.example.com/page.php?item=purse&category=bags&sid=1234
> <http://www.example.com/page.php?item=purse&category=bags&sid=1234>
> may designate the canonical link relation in HTML as specified in
>    [RFC5988]:
> <link rel="canonical"
>            href="http://www.example.com/page.php?item=purse" />
> or <link rel="canonical” href="page.php?item=purse" />
> or alternatively, in the HTTP Header... “

+1

> 2. OPEN. F. Ellermann:
> The draft could s/SHOULD NOT/MUST NOT/, I don't see any good reasonto
> violate a SHOULD NOT, and if that's correct MUST NOT is clearer.
> --seconded by M. Yevstifeyev
> --response by M. Ohye and J. Kupke: “We prefer SHOULD NOT for a few
> reasons. 1) If we outlawed multiple canonicals using MUST NOT, we would
> effectively call the HTML invalid. In reality, the HTML will still be
> processed, though it’s likely that search engines will ignore both/all
> rel=canonicals. 2) Worse, for the cases where somebody might
> rel=canonical to a 404, etc., if we use MUST NOT, it would place a huge
> (and entirely unrealistic) burden on the site owner to ensure that
> search engines recrawl pages in such an order that all rel=canonical
> sources are updated before a page may become a 404.”

I'm not sure I understand the response. Is there a use case where an
author would legitimately add multiple instances of the link relation?

> 4. OPEN. M. Yevstifeyev:
>>  The canonical link relation specifies the preferred version of a URI
> I think some introductory text on linking, probably based on RFC 5988,
> should go here.
> --response by J. Reschke "Why? It defines a link relation as defined by
> RFC 5988, so why repeat text from over there?"
> --response by M. Yevstifeyev "It should be mentioned (1) what is link
> relation at all and (2) that RFC 5988 is a specification of that
> technology which this document depends on.  RFC 5988 is first mentioned
> in Examples."
> --response by M. Ohye. “We could modify to:
> “The canonical link relation (Link Relation Types reference <xref
> target="RFC5988"/>) specifies the preferred version of a URI...”

+1

> 5. OPEN. M. Yevstifeyev:
>>  Presence of the canonical link relation indicates to applications,
> such as search engines, that they MAY:
> I wonder why it's MAY; in this case implementations (explicitly, those
> apps which interpret Link: headers and corresponding construction in
> HTML) will be free to ignore it.  I think normative SHOULD should be OK
> (sorry for pun).
> --response by J. Reschke "I think this link relation is purely advisory,
> so a better approach might be to replace "MAY" by "can"."
> --response by M. Yevstifeyev "Yes, advisory, which suits RFC 2119
> definition for SHOULD: 'SHOULD   This word, or the adjective
> "RECOMMENDED", mean that there may exist valid reasons in particular
> circumstances to ignore a particular item, but the full implications
> must be understood and carefully weighed before choosing a different
> course.'
> and natural meaning of should - advice/recommendation."
> --response by M. Ohye: “Thanks, in discussion with Joachim Kupke.”

No, it's really not a SHOULD.

> 7. OPEN. M. Yevstifeyev:
>    o Exist on a different protocol: http to https, or vice versa
> You probably meant URI scheme here, since https isn't a separate
> protocol.  As before these points we had "The value of the
> target/canonical URI MAY" or, if you consider my comment above, "The
> target/canonical URI MAY", this point may be reworded as "Have different
> scheme names" (which suits the second variant of a preface to this list
> better).
> --agreed by J. Reschke
> --response by M. Ohye/J. Kupke: “Good catch, Mykyta. We’re fine to
> change the draft to “scheme”:
> Have different scheme names: such as http to https, or vice versa
> Do we now need to expand the draft for ftp:// and gopher:// URIs? For
> example, ftp:// and gopher:// URIs”
> 1) Do not come with the equivalent of RFC 5988, so a non-HTML document
> available at any such URI won't be available to make use of <link
> rel="canonical">.
> 2) Have corresponding GOPHER error code (item type 3) or an FTP error
> 550, which like HTTP 404, is forbidden from being served for the target
> of a <link rel="canonical">.

a) A non-HTML document at a non-HTTP(s) URI may not be able to specify
the link relation, but it could be the target of a link, relation,
right? (that could be an example)

b) Future protocols might have other means to specify a link relation, btw.

> 8. OPEN. M. Yevstifeyev:
> Reading section 3 and 5 of the draft, it seems that is mandates use of
> HTTP when referring to canonical URIs.  And what is the situation when
> target URI is a 'ftp' or 'gopher' URI?  Section 3 allows different
> scheme names in context/target URIs, if I understand it correctly.
>   Therefore, unless it is deliberately, I think any mention of HTTP
> should be replaced by more generic regulations.
> --response by J. Reschke "Nope; I think the HTTP examples are very
> useful. But maybe we can have an additional statement that the link
> relation isn't specific to HTTP."
> --response by M. Yevstifeyev"Currently we have normative reference to
> RFC 2616 and normative requirements with respect to HTTP.  HTTP examples
> are OK; but it's redundant in Section 3.  I suppose in Section 3 we may
> replace HTTP-related stuff with something in the way like:
>
> Old:
>    o  The source URI of a "300 Multiple Choices" URI (Section 10.3.1 of
>       [RFC2616]) or a permanent redirect (Section 10.3.2 of [RFC2616]).
> New:
>    o  The source URI, which defines a resource which provides choice
>       in different represntations of a given resource, ientified by
>       the context URI, or is a link which has been permanently replaced
>       by an other one.
> etc."
> --response by B. Thorlacius: “Your wording seems overly confusing. Which
> is the resource that "provides choice in different represntations of a
> given resource?" A standard could be assigned the URI
> <http://example.org/spec>. An HTTP GET /spec might be responded with an
> HTTP/1.1 300 choice, and an entity linking to /spec.node.html,
> /spec.html, /spec.pdf, and /spec.txt. The resource (the standard, that
> is) would in no way provide this choice. The HTTP server simply offered
> multiple representations.”
> --response by M. Yevstifeyev: “First, this was an example only.  Next,
> my point was that the document makes HTTP/'http' scheme mandatory in
> context/target URIs, which I don't think is appropriate, since canonical
> URI may refer to a resource accessible via other protocol.  Even though
> HTTP is going to be the most often use case of canonical link relation,
> we shouldn't exclude other protocols.”
> --response by B. Thorlacius: “I agree. However, I don't understand the
> need for forbidding canonical links to resources with multiple
> representations. Are there not to be canonical links from
> representations of a resource to the resource (i.e. from /spec.html and
> /spec.txt to /spec)?”
> --response by M. Yevstifeyev: “Probably such restriction is set because
> multiple representation choice may ultimately refer the user to a
> resource which is not canonical.  A _definite_ canonical resource is
> necessary and required.”

...my general feeling here is that having specific HTTP examples is
good, as long as the spec doesn't make the reader think it's the only
protocol that qualifies.

Best regards, Julian