Re: [aqm] [AQM Evaluation Guidelines]

Nicolas KUHN <nicolas.kuhn@telecom-bretagne.eu> Tue, 15 April 2014 08:24 UTC

From: Nicolas KUHN <nicolas.kuhn@telecom-bretagne.eu>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 10:23:49 +0200
To: "Akhtar, Shahid (Shahid)" <shahid.akhtar@alcatel-lucent.com>
Cc: Richard Scheffenegger <rs@netapp.com>, "aqm@ietf.org" <aqm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [aqm] [AQM Evaluation Guidelines]

Hi Shahid Akhtar, all,

After the discussions in London IETF 89, there has been lots of modifications to the draft organisation (as we already advertised on the list).
The authors and I just discussed your points considering the size of the files for the bulk transfer and the HTTP traffic.
In the current version of the draft, we consider the values mentioned in the cablelabs work [0].

As a result, we consider bulk TCP transfers (repeating 5MB file transmission) and realistic HTTP web traffic (repeated download of 700kB). As a reminder, please find here the comments of Shahid Akhtar regarding these values:

> "Bulk TCP transfer: (continuous file transmission, or repeating 5MB file transmission);"
> The largest type of traffic on the Internet that uses bulk TCP - or large files via TCP is progressive download. The average speed of a Youtube video is over 3Mbps and it is on average 4.5 minutes long - so the average file size is considerably larger than 5MB. We have used an average of 38MB assuming 480p video and 4.5 minutes for some of our experiments. The inter-arrival time of these files should have a realistic random distribution as well as size of the files.

> "Realistic HTTP web traffic (repeated download of 700kB);"
> According to statistics that Google collected from 2010 about web traffic, the average GET file size for web traffic was only 7KB. It is very important to have the size of these files correct since AQMs can help transfers of small files when large file downloads are also occurring. The effect of AQM on a 7KB file would be very different than on a 700KB file. Web traffic also has a complex inter-arrival time relationship between the GET requests as well as the pages that produce these GET requests. However to make the testing simpler, a repeated download of a 7KB file with a Pareto distributed size and Pareto distributed inter-arrival time may be an OK compromise.

We expect to stick with the cable labs values [0]. Please let us know if you have any comments regarding this choice.

Kind regards,

Nicolas KUHN

[0] http://www.cablelabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Active_Queue_Management_Algorithms_DOCSIS_3_0.pdf