[aqm] WG status

Wesley Eddy <wes@mti-systems.com> Wed, 08 January 2014 19:46 UTC

Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 14:45:59 -0500
From: Wesley Eddy <wes@mti-systems.com>
To: "aqm@ietf.org" <aqm@ietf.org>
Subject: [aqm] WG status

Hi, as we've entered 2014 and have charter milestones that we're
working towards, Richard and I thought it would be good to start
periodically sending a "status report" to the WG mailing list so
that we can all keep up with what's going on, and focus our efforts
together on the things that need work.

Towards that goal, here is a snapshot of where we think the AQM
working group is at today, and what the next steps are that people
can contribute to:

- WG Milestones:
  - Submit AQM recommendations to IESG for publication, obsoleting RFC
2309 (Goal: January 2014)
    - draft-ietf-aqm-recommendation is accepted towards this milestone
    - http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-aqm-recommendation/
    - the draft needs to be updated per comments received, including
feedback on the recommendations from the Vancouver meeting
    - if the authors are comfortable, a WGLC might be made on the next
revision
    - we would like to hear from other authors of RFC 2309 on this
document, if anyone has contacts to them.

  - Submit AQM algorithm evaluation guidelines to IESG for publication
as Informational (Goal: July 2014)
    - We need an editor team to step forward and begin work on this;
there was initial work presented in Vancouver, but no draft available or
adopted by the working group yet.
    - It will be difficult to make this milestone, and will push other
milestones back, if this work isn't accelerated.
    - Please express interest to the chairs or on-list

  - Submit first algorithm specification to IESG for publication as
Proposed Standard (Goal: December 2014)
    - Since any Proposed Standard algorithm should be in line with the
recommendations and be passable versus the evaluation guidelines, this
milestone is hard to start on without significant progress on the
previous two.
    - Currently the only algorithm spec with a complete and active
individual-submission draft is PIE

- Other items:
  - draft-pan-aqm-pie is under active work as a proposed algorithm:
    http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-pan-aqm-pie-00.txt
  - CoDel draft is expired; Dave Taht or others may revive it and/or
describe pairing with FQ/SFQ algorithms:
    http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-nichols-tsvwg-codel-01.txt
  - Other algorithm specifications are welcome!
    - Though, we are not planning on adopting algorithms until
recommendations and evaluation guidelines are mostly stable

--
Wes Eddy
MTI Systems