Re: [Autoconf] updated draft on aspects of multi-hop wireless communication

"Teco Boot" <teco@inf-net.nl> Wed, 25 February 2009 08:01 UTC

From: Teco Boot <teco@inf-net.nl>
To: 'Paul Lambert' <paul@marvell.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:01:27 +0100
Cc: autoconf@ietf.org, 'Emmanuel Baccelli' <Emmanuel.Baccelli@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Autoconf] updated draft on aspects of multi-hop wireless communication

Inline.

|-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----

I don't understand this statement. I think every wireless or cellular
protocol should pay attention to the aspects described in
draft-baccelli-multi-hop-wireless-communication. For potential asymmetric
links, which is a natural characteristic of wireless links, protocols shall
implement a bi-directionality check.

Using asymmetric links for a uni-directional broadcast channel is something
different. It may be useful and in many cases it is very powerful, but it is
out-of-scope of many (all?) routing protocols. Main reason is the lack of a
return channel. Of course there are protocols (related to routing protocols)
that utilize the broadcast links. And we could think of using these links in
MANET, e.g. using the uni-directional links for flooding.

Anyway, I do not think this is in scope for [Autoconf] right now.

|I can see that there could be some interesting
|applications.  My primary comment was that there are existing ad hoc IP
|address assignment problems that do not have this attribute.
|
|I am starting to see that I may I may be "talking past' members on this
|list ... and perhaps should just go away ...  I notice that in your
|draft it says:
|   All are configured to
|   provide store-and-forward functionality on top of these protocols, as
|   needed to enable communications; consequently, they can be classified
|   as routers in the resulting wireless network.
|
|None of the consumer devices that I'm concerned with (cellphones,
|cameras, printers, etc.) will be routers.  They are connected to a ad
|hoc network and still all need IP addresses.  I'm a big fan of routers
|:-) ... but not all devices on an ad hoc network forward packets.  If
|this group is solely interested in routing protocols ... I should go
|away and create another non-IETF proprietary protocol to solve my
|problem area.

I raised this issue also some time ago (I think Vancouver meeting). The room
responded with large consensus that nodes could easily run the MANET Routing
protocol and still not forward packets. So the node learns neighbors and
topology information, but for some policy do not advertize its links.
Now the definition of "host" and "router" is somewhat troubled. In IETF, we
say a host does not forward packets. But in the routing community working on
protocols for dynamic routing, we say routers run the Routing Protocol.

Maybe IETF missed the point that hosts do need topology information, e.g.
default gateway selection / dead gateway detection, ICMP redirect, failover
etc. Running routing protocols on hosts is being used already (e.g. passive
RIP).

|In this context - is there a specific advocate (customers, products,
|markets) for the proposals on this list or is it strictly research
|centric?
|
|If there is need for such a target problem set I would like to suggest
|the specific problem area of 802.11 ad hoc networks with 802.11i (aka
|WPA2) security. If some one is interested in this problem ... let me
|know ... otherwise if this is out of scope I will move to some other
|mailing list.

I am interested. But I do not see the problem right now. I think the IP
layer is on top of the link layer, and 802.11 (including 802.11i WPA2 in
IBSS mode) shall enable communication completely independent of layers
above.

Can you explain the problem a little bit more?

Teco.