Re: [CCAMP] [OPSAWG] Getting rid of network-hardware-inventory container for straightfoward model alignment that satisfies both hardware inventory needs and generalization/extensibility goals (was: Re: [inventory-yang] poll for network inventory base model)

"Wubo (lana)" <lana.wubo@huawei.com> Mon, 11 September 2023 09:19 UTC

From: "Wubo (lana)" <lana.wubo@huawei.com>
To: Alexander L Clemm <ludwig@clemm.org>, "maqiufang (A)" <maqiufang1=40huawei.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, "inventory-yang@ietf.org" <inventory-yang@ietf.org>
CC: "ivy-chairs@ietf.org" <ivy-chairs@ietf.org>, opsawg <opsawg@ietf.org>, "ccamp@ietf.org" <ccamp@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 09:19:48 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.136.114.167]
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] [OPSAWG] Getting rid of network-hardware-inventory container for straightfoward model alignment that satisfies both hardware inventory needs and generalization/extensibility goals (was: Re: [inventory-yang] poll for network inventory base model)

Hi Alex, all,

It seems to me you mentioned two IVY models, one is the BASE inventory model with minimum inventory attributes, and the other seems to be the CORE inventory model, which is the major requirements as charter B. Hardware/Software components including licenses. Am I correct?

In addition, you also mentioned that the CCAMP "network-hardware-inventory" may develop independently, as the requirements seems different from the IVY core model, since the equipment room is only for the indoor RACK location, not for the outdoor location.

I also have the same doubts. Is the goal of CCAMP inventory same as IVY CORE inventory model? Last Wednesday CCAMP inventory weekly call, I explained the following use cases from draft-wzwb-opsawg-network-inventory-management and proposed the merged network inventory model :
1. Virtual devices, such as vCPE, vPE, vBNG, etc.
2. Software components, including device platform software, software patch, boot-rom, bootloader, etc.
3. Site as a location option
4. License list
5. Terms of network inventory, including network inventory, network element, and components
6. The merged network inventory model

Here is some feedback and summary got on the call:

1.       Some authors say virtual device, and software components are not considered, as the purpose of CCAMP inventory is to meet ACTN Packet Optical integration (POI) requirements for optical and IP multi-domain TE cases etc, https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-teas-actn-poi-applicability#section-4.

2. Some author shared the inventory information of Cisco vPE, indicating that virtual devices share the same inventory attributes just as physical devices:
RP/0/RP0/CPU0:ron-srpce-791#show inventory all Wed Sep 6 14:50:04.239 UTC
NAME: "0/0", DESCR: "Cisco IOS-XRv 9000 Centralized Line Card"
PID: R-IOSXRV9000-LC-C, VID: V01, SN: B3BC8301B42 NAME: "0/0/0", DESCR: "N/A"
PID: PORT-1G-NIC, VID: N/A, SN: N/A NAME: "0/0/1", DESCR: "N/A"
PID: PORT-1G-NIC, VID: N/A, SN: N/A NAME: "0/0/2", DESCR: "N/A"
PID: PORT-1G-NIC, VID: N/A,SN: N/A NAME: "0/0/3", DESCR: "N/A"
PID: PORT-1G-NIC, VID: N/A, SN: N/A NAME: "0/0/4", DESCR: "N/A"
PID: PORT-1G-NIC, VID: N/A, SN: N/A NAME: "0/0/5", DESCR: "N/A"
PID: PORT-1G-NIC, VID: N/A, SN: N/A NAME: "0/0/6", DESCR: "N/A"
PID: PORT-1G-NIC, VID: N/A, SN: N/A
NAME: "0/RP0", DESCR: "Cisco IOS-XRv 9000 Centralized Route Processor"
PID: R-IOSXRV9000-RP-C, VID: V01, SN: 59D4943FFB2 NAME: "Rack 0", DESCR: "Cisco IOS-XRv 9000 Centralized Virtual Router"
PID: R-IOSXRV9000-CC, VID: V01, SN: 76E77892EA1

3. The author has previously discussed the extension of sites and licenses.

4. The authors and contributors took a quick look at the merged model, and we plan to continue the discussion on this week.

Thanks,
Bo Wu